Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55

Poor Jeff at Audiomods. He does everything he can to prevent his unique arm from being incorrectly, mistakenly described as a "tweaked Rega", yet some continue to do so. Why? That is akin to describing a custom-designed, hand-built automobile, onto which the builder has installed, say, BMW wheels, as a "tweaked BMW".

Jeff personally designed, and himself hand-machines, every single piece of his arm, with two exception: KLE Innovations RCA plugs (fantastic!), and the arm tube, which he sources from Rega. The Rega 303 arm tube (which receives drastic re-engineering and machining from Jeff) is the only, repeat ONLY Rega part used on the Audiomods arms (two models available). Does having the Rega arm tube make the Audiomods a "tweaked Rega"? Only if you ignore the fact that Jeff machines the arm’s unique bearing assembly (with ceramic ball bearings), yoke, variable-mass/constrained layer-damped counterweight, anti-skate, turntable mount that provides arm height and VTA/SRA adjustment (with optional micrometer available), internal arm tube stiffening and very-high quality silver or copper wiring, arm rest---all of his own design, and far different from Rega’s. All this info and more are available for viewing on the Audiomods website, so there is no excuse for the arm to continue to be mischaracterized as a "tweaked Rega". With the sole exception of the arm tube, and that single part alone, the Regas and the Audiomods couldn’t be more different.

Got it?!

@bdp24 

I know this tonearm, i remember when Zu Audio released their ZU SL1200 mod with Rega RB-1000 tonearm back in 2011: https://www.zuaudio.com/low-voltage/2011/03/zu-sl-1200-turntable.html 

Later the RB-1000 was replaced with a better Audiomods tonearm, but the armwant is still from Rega. Maybe it's not correct word "tweaked rega", but i new toneam with drilled Rega armwand. Anyway Audiomods was fine for Zu DL-103 low compliance cartridge. This is the oppisite to the Technics stock tonearm designed for mid compliance MM and many other tonearms than can be installed on SL1200mkII for higher compliance cartridges. As i said it depends what cantridge the owner is gonna use with the arm. Do you find this Audiomods toneam attractive ? I'm not, sorry. 

@chakster, I have to agree with you on the looks of the Audomods. All those holes drilled into the arm tube (admittedly for a good reason, and apparently providing a substantial benefit) is quite unsightly, especially in the matte finish-version. Pretty ugly. The polished version looks much better. But if you can see past that, the arm is really well engineered and built. A great value in a pickup arm, for those who value value ;-). Another kinda ugly, but high value arm, is the TransFi Terminator, also hand-built by a Brit. They are really good at record players, aren't they?
@bdp24  when it comes to Technics i'm fine with my EPA-100mkII Boron Titanium with Rubby Ball bearings with the lowest friction, VTA on the fly etc. I think it's hard to beat by any new tonearm at $5k range (i've never tried more expensive new arms than my Reed 3p "12). Anyway a shoort version of Reed tonearm could fit in the SL1200GAE, but the EPA-100mkII can't fit. 

I think the best vintage tonearm for inexpensive old SL1200/1210mkII is Victor UA-7045 which is normally under $750 in perfect condition or even lower.    
The SL1200G is a pretty audiophile turntable.

Although it looks like the older version, its a complete from-the-ground-up new design.

We've mounted both the regular and 12" Triplanar tonearms on the new SL1200s with excellent results.

This is one of the most speed-stable machines in production. It is also well damped (including the platter) against mechanical vibration. So it is an excellent platform. I feel that the arm and platter pad are its weak points, but the arm is a whole lot better than its predecessor being made of better materials with better tolerances.