Help: Devore O/96 Integrated Amp + DAC suggestion

Hello Devore O/96 owners.

I was very fortunate to be able to purchase a set of O/96s earlier this year, and I'm trying to build out the rest of my system to truly complement these speakers the way they deserve.  I've read many of the posts and reviews across the standard sites and forums, and, while I've found some great information, I could really use some custom opinions based on your experience.  I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts, and my apologies for the long winded setup, but I want to be as specific as possible

I'm all digital via Tidal and FLAC through Audirvana+, and my system currently consists of an Audio Note Oto SE Signature with an Arcam IRDAC and Zu Audio Mission MK1 cables throughout.  My room is approximately 14x22ft. with 12ft. ceilings.

When I'd originally heard the O's in the store, they were driven by a Nagra Classic w/ Nagra DAC.  The sound was literally the most engaging thing I've ever heard...It was electric, punch-you-in-the-gut amazing and had warmth and depth into the music.  The drum reproduction and snap alone had me, and, while I had no intention of spending that much on speakers, after hearing them, I couldn't not buy them.

Bringing them home, I'd originally paired them with a Naim Nait 5i as a holdover from my original Neat Acoustics system, and it was a poor fit.  The sound was incredibly flat...It felt as though the musicians could not have been further away from my listening room.  After reading Rafe's review in Part-Time Audiophile and his thoughts on the AN OTO SE as a match, the fates aligned and I received an incredible deal on a used Signature version.  After plugging into the system, the sound instantly became more engaging.  A richness is present in both the voices and the strings that was missing, and I would say there is definitely more in the way of dynamics.  That said, I feel like (1) I'm still missing significant drum dynamics/snap, (2) when volume increases to approx noon, the sound almost flattens (pushing a 10 w amp too far?), and (3) in complex pieces - orchestral and rock, there is a bit of muddling.

I have a $5k budget for tweaking/replacing, and I'm a huge proponent of used components.  Ideally, with consideration for both space and the budget, I'd like to stay with an integrated amp.  My targeted questions would be:

(1) Is the AN OTO SE Sig sufficient and the DAC the culprit, and, if so, which DAC makes the most sense to achieve what I'm looking for.  Would a AN 3.1, Lampizator, or Border Patrol be the "final" piece? 

(2) While I like the AN, would I be better off replacing both the amp and DAC, and what would marry well? LM 518ia or 508ia/Leben/Shindo Appetite, etc. with one of the above? (several articles on amps with O/96, but none I've seen on amp + dac synergy)

Unfortunately, while Chicago has a tremendous amount of great shops, there's nowhere to listen to any of the aforementioned brands, so I'm heavily reliant on outside opinion.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read this and for your thoughts and consideration.  

wallace79
@wallace79  Another way to approach this is to come at it from another angle, something along the lines of:

What two components would bring you closest to what the Nagra Classic + Nagra DAC do for / bring to a system? Irrespective of speakers and given your budget....

On a separate line of thought, do you remember which cabling / power supply etc was used with your demo O/96s? I don't know your position on cabling...but it may have been a factor in what you heard at the demo. Mentioning this in case it is relevant.

All the best!
I agree with fsonicsmith and David regarding proper speaker break-in, placement and cable comparability. I just believe that amplifier and speaker matching is both fundamental and foundational. You have to establish what type of sound you are seeking.

With this speaker you'll hear that the Bryston will differ from Pass Labs and Leben will differ from the Line Magnetic. Each and every amplifier brings along its innate sonic signature. Determine which signature you find most acceptable. They all have distinct colorations.
Charles
All,

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.  There are some excellent ideas/suggestions throughout this discussion.  My apologies for the delayed follow-up, but Saturdays have become "kid birthday party day" it appears, and there's no end in sight.

With regards to break-in, the speakers I'd purchased were the demo pair that I'd heard and fallen in love with.  I expect the sound will continue to evolve a bit, but I'm confident we're in a good place.

The cables utilized in the shop system were Argento which are truly fantastic, and I'm confident that did have an impact on dynamics.  That said, from an overall presentation standpoint, I think if I can get the amp + DAC dialed in first, I can upgrade the cables after and eek out that last piece of audio-nirvana as I reset my funds.

The room positioning piece is a wonderful point, and I'm going to grab the XLO test CD as recommended tomorrow morning and spend a couple more hours on positioning to see if I can dial in bass a bit further. It's a tough room, and I've worked through multiple positions (currently on long wall), and room limitations could be muting some of those dynamics.  

I love Charles's comment regarding the OTO being very good but not perfect for every music genre...spot on.  I really do appreciate their tone for jazz and acoustic, but there's a little punk/grunge in me that needs the Pixies and Nirvana's Scentless Apprentice to have that punch.  There is a Pass Lab distributer in the area, so I'll check out the IAs in that line to see if the sound has enough warmth/soul, and in the interim, I'll look to see if I can find a used CS600 or US version 508ia for a no-loss price should I need to re-sell.  The Lyngdorf is intriguing, and if I can get an audition, I'll definitely take advantage.

Finally, regardless on timing of the above, the DAC needs to go, so I'll look to find a reasonable price on USB versions of some of the above mentioned and get that sorted asap.  

Again, thanks to all, and I welcome any additional thoughts.  As I get everything settled, I'll report back with my findings.

Best,Wallace
Don’t count out the CS300xs.  The specs 15W per channel may not look that much different than your current amp, but it would be my first choice for the 0/96.  This little integrated absolutely kicks butt with plenty of punch.  I preferred it to the Shindo separates mainly due to its dynamic punchy character.  I have not heard the CS 600 so can’t say how that would compare.