JA Perspecitve Stereophile review

Just read the review and am scratching my head a bit so wondering what you guys think. Although Atkinson recommends them in the end it comes with some big caveats in terms of less than stellar bass and a boost in the presence range that he termed "hot." Looking at the frequency response graph it does show a boost in that region on the graph and relative to a couple other speakers, but I've listened to many JA speakers in many settings -- including the Perspectives -- and "hot" is not a word I would attribute to any of them so I find this very curious (nor can I recall any other review of a JA speaker where they're called hot or bright sounding). I know it's relative and personal preferences, etc., but still. Also, not too much said about imaging/disappearing, which I've always found to be a competitive strength particularly with JA speakers so surprised that wasn't more of a standout although he does generally find imaging to be a positive.

Also curious is that Atkinson is usually pretty good at providing direct product comparisons and given he just had the Vandersteen Treos in house I find it strange he didn't compare the two or compare anything else to the Perspectives directly (although I guess we could infer the Treos or maybe the Giya G3, but I'd find direct comparisons much more useful here). What's more, he mentions stiff competition from several other speakers he lists in the conclusion section (including the Treos) and all of them are 30% to 60% cheaper than the Perspectives. Taking all this together and reading between the lines as we must do when reading these reviews, I can't help but view this as a backhanded slap against the Perspectives.

Lastly, I have to say while I generally respect Atkinson I sometimes wonder if his measurements sometimes bias his findings. Don't get me wrong, I think he's probably writing what he hears, but you can almost look at his graphs and predict a good bit of what he'll find upon listening. Obviously measurements matter but the skeptical side of me just finds the correlation a bit too tight.

Anyway, I just found the review a bit surprising and disappointing given my past experience and just looking for some other, er, perspectives on this. And no I don't own JA speakers (although I'd love to) and no affiliation with JA whatsoever.
soix
Whew I read anything in Stereophile or TAS I scratch my head. Everything is great or “the best I have ever had in my system”. If the reviewer does not like a component, they find a round-about way of saying something luke warm. They never give a negative review. Therefore I cannot take what they write seriously. 

Guys-

circling back around to the JA Perspective loudspeaker. Strength: very musical. In my previous assessment, my friend was using the Octave amp w/o the Black Box option, as well as, Cardas Clear cabling. This combo could have given me an interpretation of lower bass missing?

Well built and solid cabinet is another strength. Smooth or grain-free.

Weakness: price. Remember, this speaker at full retail costs as much as the Thiel CS 3.7. The Thiel was the better bargain dollar for dollar, IMO.

Overall presentation/performance: Excellent, not outstanding to my ears.

Not as timbre -rich as a Thiel speaker. I have a feeling that the Pearl model (1,2 or 3) gets closer in timbre and resolution to Thiel at a much higher cost. I still would like to audition the Pearl model though.

Both brands will respond well to tubed and solid-state gear. Both are easy to cable as well. I will report that the Thiel CS 2.7 and CS 3.7 will achieve their best performance capability in medium to large rooms.

The JA Perspective does well in a small to medium sized room.

Happy Listening!

Actually the Perspectives are tricky in smaller rooms - the bass can overwhelm and they need good breathing space.  See JA's measurements.
If you can bi-amp them, use a DSP on the bass to reel it in. Best of all worlds.

I won't do a full-range speaker unless I can EQ the bass section separately anymore.
I use a DEQX Premate with mine (JA Perspective speakers)--seems to work well. But, I confess I used Larry Owens to dial it all in. He is a DEQX guru.