Tube Preamps.....

I am running 2 GFA 565 Musical Comcepts modded Amps with Vandersteen 2ce v2. I am looking for a good quality tube preamp. With or without a built in dac. Should I stick with shopping for a used Mac? Or should I look at others also. Suggestions? Like to keep it under $3000. Could stretch to 3500. Thanks for your input. 
128x128pstores
The MZ2 adds nothing detrimental to the sound except dynamics and added soundstage size. It is a clear conduit otherwise. I agree that it’s the best preamp I’ve owned, much better than my AI Modulus.

I am testing the new Micro ZOTL Preamp now and it’s more of he same but better. To me the MZ2 is the best bang for the buck.

@meiatflask - There is something special about the ZOTL design from David Berning that provides amazing clarity and 3D soundstage.  I was using my Cary at the time when a friend brought over his MZ2.  The difference was immediate, like replacing new glass in place of a piece that needed cleaning.  I placed an order the next day and sold my Cary. 

I'm still using 2 of the NOS JAN Sylvania 6SN7GT tubes I had in the Cary for the MZ2.  The Cary's NOS Telefunfen 12AX7s went into my LTA amp.  I could have deployed the Cary's 12AU7s also in the MZ2, but it can use 12AT7s as an option, which I prefer.  The 12AT7 provides a bit more gain and a more forward presentation depending on the brand.  Again, the MZ2 is a tube rolling funhouse.  The stock tubes that LTA provides sound pretty good.

I know that LTA has also just announced a new/improved preamp for those wanting an even more refined sound, more inputs, a better volume control, and a more polished look.  Its price is more in line with Cary/CJ

For me, I still like the MZ2.  At its cost, I can't see how it can be beat, even when configuring with upgrades.  Like the new model, the MZ2 is also a premium headphone amp, its originally designed intent. 

@sciencecop - If the preamp's output impedance is too high for the amp you risk rolloff at the frequency extremes.  This does need to be considered.

The LTA MZ2's output impedance is 2 ohms, unheard of for a tube preamp and another benefit of its design.  This is basically SS territory.  It will work with any amp.

I personally don’t get the LISST tube thing for the Freya as there are already 2 non tube stages built into it, although higher gain or fear of tubes may be the reason…in any case I’ve settled on NOS Sylvania "chrome domes" in the first tube stage with the new Tung Sols in the second position…I’m not certain that the Freya "kills" CJ or Audio Research preamps as I don’t have those to compare it with, but if it does it makes me feel like a real smart audio component chooser, which is good, and owners of any other preamps shouldn’t feel bad…maybe you simply didn’t know…
I personally don't get the LISST tube thing for the Freya as there are already 2 non tube stages built into the thing, although higher gain or fear of tubes may be the reason…in any case I've settled on NOS Sylvania "chrome domes" in the first tube stage with the new Tung Sols in the second position…I'm not certain that the Freya "kills" CJ or Audio Research preamps as I don't have those to compare it with, but if it does it makes me feel like a real smart audio component chooser, which is good, and owners of any other preamps shouldn't feel bad…maybe you simply didn't know…

I may get the Audible Illusions M3B or the L3A line stage, but I want to try the Freya first. One can buy the Freya for $699 and buy better tubes later.  They are like $20 a piece, not big deal.