That was first published in 1987 and the other "bargains" mentioned, i.e. B&K, Shure, Superphon, were truly really good for the money.  I owned two of those pieces.

I always enjoyed Corey's writings. Adcom was tough to beat (no pun) back in those days (when their products were made in AZ). I owned the 555 power amp and 565 pre-amp in the early 90's.

Happy Listening!

This was also when (1983-1997) HEA had it’s biggest and most actively productive membership. I was so disappointed when the quest for $$$$ became the driving force instead of the sound that so many of these companies provided. The basic models sounded much better than the over built ones and the designers knew it, but the pressure was on to get the gravy train in full gear.

Fortunately the mass produced companies picked up where these basic audiophile products left off.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

Oh, I should probably add this for a point of reference. During these years I had my own HEA stores. I spent a ton of money trying to get the most out of the pricy products, but started to feel guilty selling them when I knew the basic models were able to out perform them. Same thing happened as I was doing trade shows. Because I was providing a popular acoustical product the high enders wanted me to do their products in my own rooms, but again it was a conflict for me.

Not sure if the OP is asking for opinions or recommendations but either way the 535 was actually a better amp as compared to some of the higher power models like 545 or even 555. It is also more easily and cheaply upgradable. I've owned all three models (still own 555) and for moderate listening levels the 535 has a fuller and cleaner sound than the 545/555.