Why do I see more Vandersteen model 3s vs model 2s for sale?

Just wondering about something I've noticed on the audiogon.com website over the past few months. It seems when Vandersteen speakers pop-up for sale a good percentage of them are the model 3's. Based off what I know about Vandersteen it seems like there should be a lot more Model 2's for sale based off of overall units sold. Anyone else notice this? What could be the reason?
I currently have the Model 2c's (SNs around 27K, I believe) and they are a great speaker. When I upgrade I either want the latest version of the model 2 (2ce sig II's) used, or used Model 3a sigs (also the latest version). I think the pricing would be somewhere in the ballpark of 1.8k for the 2ce sig IIs vs around 2.4k for the 3a sigs.
Would I be better or getting the model 2's or springing an extra $700 on the model 3's?
Just wanted to get some input on this. 3A sigs seem like the logical choice, but seeing so many for sale compared to the model 2's make me hesitant. Thanks for any insight.
bstatmeister
Let’s think for a minute .
In order to take full advantage of the bigger speaker one would need to optimize with better electronics to climb to an obviously better level then add in decent AQ cables no band aids and a normal size room to breath and the 3A sigs can sing easily outperforming most other types
The newer Treo"CTs has a better transition and placement advantage over both speakers the latest 2 Sig 2 is still
one of the best values in speaker land
JohnnyR
Thanks for the feedback Johnny! So, it seems a likely reason is that more models 3's are for sale is that since they are more picky towards the room and supporting hardware, folks are left feeling underwhelmed since they don't take anything else into account?
Since I am more of a budget audiophile myself, I wonder it if would be safe to assume that the model 3's could possibly sound worse than my model 2c's if I just swapped them out, while not upgrading any other component? If this is the case, I would probably opt to get the 2ce sig IIs since they are less picky.
My upgrade path with likely be this, then (likely much time will go by between steps):
1.)buy a used 2wq
2.)buy a second 2wq
3.)buy used (possibly new) 2ce sig IIs
4.)upgrade supporting electronics

You might consider moving to a powered speaker instead of a passive design. The Treo, I understand, is a passive version of the Quatro and is still pretty pricey.
If you are sold on Vandersteen speakers, I can totally understand, they are a great product. As an alternative Golden Ear Tech speakers like the Triton ! and Triton 1 Reference offer great sound at a more affordable price, for me anyway. Have a great day.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I am very much a believer in Vandersteen. I have heard all sorts of speakers at various shops in the Northwest and in my ears, nothing comes close to the overall musicality these put forth. It's tough to put your finder on the magic of them. They just sound lush.
when they're sold, you won't see them that much.
I assume you are talking about the 2wq? 
Yes, I am a bit afraid of this. If I can't get a hold of a good used one, I guess I could start working a second job during the graveyard shift and save up for a SUB 3. 
LOL @czarivey !!! Absolutely true! You only see them when they are for sale ;)...