Jack DeJohnette

I have been listening to One of Jacks latest, "In Movement" . I think it is quintessential Jack and contemporary. Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison really swim here and, to me, the three sound like an iconic jazz trio. Thoughts anybody? 
Greg
greg22lz
@jafant  no real update on Jack. I have been listening to a lot of Coltrane. I saw 'Chasing Trane' and was sort of fired up again in a new way about his life and music. Qiute the musician he is.  My DeJohnette years go back a long way. I had a cassette tape of him that I listened to over and over during the period from 1978 to 1980, until it failed. I then bought the CD along with come other DeJohnette back then. That particular cassette was 'Gateway 2' and I still like to listen to that occasionally. I know there is a large body of work by him but I find myself more interested in live recordings, even if they aren't great recordings. Live has a much more interesting feel and energy. What about you?  Regards, Greg

I buy every disc that features JD, especially, those that also feature Dave Holland (Bassist). Excellent suggestions as above Greg.

I will continue  to post as I learn of more JD recordings/releases.

Additionally, I have a very large, almost complete, Coltrane collection to boot.

Happy Listening!

@greg22lz @jafant - I'm not much of a jazz fan. However, I heard "Timeless" from John Abercrombie w/Jan Hammer and Jack De Johnette sometime in the late 1970's and I've been a fan ever since. I had it on original ECM LP, sold it when I got out of vinyl years ago, bought it on CD and bought it again on LP when I got back into vinyl again a few years ago.

I don't necessarily love the whole album, but the title track "Timeless" is one of my all time favorites. It is "real" ambient music, not the digitally synthesized drivel that is so popular today. Love the whole ensemble, but I especially love the drums as the song builds...

Turn down the lights and slip into 12 minutes of bliss........

John Abercrombie, Jan Hammer and Jack De Johnette - "Timeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsZ_-9442o
I recommend "Fictionary"--Lyle Mays, Marc Johnson and JD, if it is not already in your collection.
More to discover