Borderpatrol Dac SE

I've been seeing this DAC mentioned a lot everywhere lately, hearing that it performs way above its price class, etc.

I took the leap and bought one.  Mind you I've only broken it in for 48 hours but I'm at this point I'm not sure it will ever open up.

So far it has really soft and closed in treble with no air or decay.  Mids are okay, bass is a little soft without great definition or extension.  Imaging is ok but feels a little confused.

To be honest it's getting smoked by my current Fostex HP-A8.  The Fostex is the design antithesis of what's gaining traction:  a delta sigma AKM chip.

Owners:  does this thing ever open up, or has the Sopra unmasked another pretender?  If this is "analog" sound, I think I'll pass the next time I hear that descriptor.

System:  

roon
Sotm Sms-200
Perla Audio Sig 50
Focal Sopra 2
emcdade
It's been burning in in my office system all week.  I'm going to warm it up in my main system tonight and have another listen.  I may even get out my Umik-1 and take a few measurements to see if they confirm what I'm hearing.
Check out this post on another forum:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/126075-border-patrol/?do=findComment&comment=2209672

This user had the same kind of experience, and apparently Gary’s advice to turn the tube on and off periodically worked wonders.
Very interesting, sounds identical to my experience.  I have been giving the tube a break here and there and have been in touch with Gary.  

Kudos to Gary for giving a 14 day period to audition it.
@whoopycat nice find there! And I see you're selling an AN Sig-3 did you transition to that from your YDA-1? If so you followed the exact same path as me! I hope whatever your next move is proves satisfying. Apologies to the OP for the brief thread drift.