Cryongenically treated in-wall AC power wire

I have a high end sound system and am building a new house.  I would like to have a dedicated electrical line installed for my system, to run from the electrical outlets in my music room to the breaker box.  The builder asked me how long I wanted the wire to be, which runs from the outlets to the breaker box.  I have no idea.  I could place it as close as several feet or much longer.  The wire is $20/foot.  So, here are my questions:

1.  If you want to install a dedicated electrical line for your sound system how close should the electrical outlets be to the breaker box, or does it make a difference?  In other words, is there a minimum length of cryogenically treated wire that I will want in the wall stretching from the outlets to the fuse box?

2.  I assume that using cryogenically treated wire and electrical outlets will reduce noise.  Does anyone have any experience with cryogenically treated wire?

gapperis123
The audiophile hobby takes big swings from one end of the scale to the other with time always being the test. What I have tried to do, faithfully I hope, is every few years I will setup a listening shop I call TuneLand, or some may remember TuneVilla, where listeners can come and explore different interest of theirs. The doors are pretty much open for folks who want to be serious about coming to conclusions on their own. A couple of rooms are available for the listener to dig in and do anything they want, without me peeking over their shoulder. This last space of time and place covered Cryo pretty extensively. I did this before but was convinced it was time to revisit. There were also some low mass adventures that were fairly overwhelming, but that is covered on my forum. As listeners played with adjusting their cables and other items there was not one who chose Cryo over heat and vibra-tuning. At the same time we did our local testing the same testing was done in several countries, so we could get different opinions from different listeners. There was a difference in other topics but I was surprised that not one person took Cryo over Temp-A-curing. The long term deciding factor came down to missing information in the recordings. And the other conclusion was when people moved their Cryo treated cables from one listening environment, letting it settle for a month or two, then moved the cable to another location, or shipped to another country, the cable never recovered from the first setup. I had several thousand dollar cables loose their performance cues altogether. This happened with such regularity I started to wonder what people did when they moved into a new home and found the music all messed up. What did they blame the bad sound on? The pre broken in Cryo treated cable is a good place to start with. It would be good to hear from others who have experienced this same issue.

vtech2000

A separate electrical meter and utility line feeding it from the street, running to its own breaker box and the dedicated wiring fed from there. Full isolation from the electrical system powering the rest of the house.

Local zoning will often prohibit such an arrangement, because it could allow a multi-family home (or home with a separate business) in what might be a neighborhood limited by zoning to single-family homes. In any event - even where it would be permitted - the grounding system would almost certainly need to be common between the two systems in order to comply with NEC.

Again, the solution to the perceived problem of "noisy grounds" on an audio system is not to pursue multiple grounds, but to ensure that all the grounds are clean. And the neutrals. And the hot connections. Noise can be introduced anywhere in an electric system, not just the ground.

The link that almarg previously provided is an authoritative resource that slays many grounding myths. Here’s one of them:

" Its connection to earth is not what makes ’safety ground’ safe ... its the connection to neutral. "

That’s worth pondering as you consider that NEC requires neutral and ground to be bonded together at the service panel.

For my 2c's on a very complicated subject is this;

1. Run the best ac cable you can afford. (10 gauge)
2. Run at least 3 dedicated lines
3. Space each line at least 1"+ from each other.
4. Use the best outlets you can afford. (Furutech GTX Nano etc)

All of this is the backbone to your present system and all future equipment changes will benefit. 

ozzy

Ozzy, what components would you connect to each of the 3 dedicated lines?  If you have a power conditioner does it make any difference?

Glenn