Have you moved from tubed amplification to solid state amplification... Why?

I'd like feedback from those who have moved from primarily using Tubed pre and power amplification to Solid State pre and power amplification in their systems. 

Feel free to share what you found relevant to your experience. The questions below are only meant as a starting point, and reflect what I'm curious about.

- What was the initial motivation or driver that made you consider the move?

- Once you made your choice, what were your specific reasons for doing so?

- How happy and satisfied have you been with this move? Any regrets? 

- Lessons learned? Advice to share?

Thank you.

NOTE: Please, this is not about which is Better. Let's not make it about that. I like both solutions and the varied options for each. Thanks!!!

NOTE: I searched the Forums through 2013 for relevant threads...If you know of one or more that relates to my questions, please add the link. Thank you.
david_ten

I went the opposite direction, I started off with Solid state and went to tubes. I am a Magnepan owner (20.7's) and had a pair of ARC monoblock amps that was rated 600wpc in 4ohms. It goes without saying from a power perspective they did the trick, however it lacked the musicality and subtle detail I got when I switched to tubes. It’s all system dependent, listening levels, and preference. I will most likely have to replace my tubes in another 4 years as the manufacturer of my gear is known for not running their tubes hard and with the auto bias feature it’s a non factor for me. At that rate I’m good with getting a new amp every 4 - 5 years, that’s based on changing out tubes. (not buying a whole new amp) LOL!

Cheers

There is no formula for good sound, but what works for me is a hybrid system - SS power amp and tubed pre-amp.  That gives me the power, speed & control of SS along with the musical tonality of tubes.  Using high quality components, this is much more like 'getting it all' than a compromise.  

The Quads to which I was referring are the originals ("57’s"). Modjeski says he used that speaker for evaluating his design choices in the development of his RM-10 amp (35w/ch in it’s Class A/B version, 25w in the Class A version). The Quad 63 and it’s descendants are a very different story.

Modjeski offers not only push/pull Class A/B amps, but also low-powered single-ended amps, and an OTL (as well as an ESL speaker with a dedicated direct-drive---no output transformer---tube power amp). The Quad 57/OTL amp is a classic combination (especially the Futterman OTL’s), but Roger makes the case that an OTL amp is in fact a poor choice for use with that Quad. His reasoning was explained in the now-dormant Audio Circle Music Reference Forum.

When I had much less efficient speakers I switched to a hybird to have enough power.  Tube front end

Van Alstine and Moscode

went to 97 db efficient dome speakers and back to conventional tubes

bliss again
David,
For me it’s been quite a journey of owning all kinds of top gear,either tubes or ss,over the 40 yrs that I’ve been in this hobby.
Without mentioning any brand names,I will give you a quick small as possible summary of my journey to what I have today,that beats and or rivals any other piece of gear that I’ve owned.

I started with a set of tubed separates and used them for a few months but my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to try something different,so I got a SS pre to try with the tube amp,everyone said at the time that’s the wrong direction to go,but it worked very well for me.Fast forward a few yrs and Nelsons first Threshold amps were the buzz and after saving up for a set I got a 400a and the as the yrs went by I continued right up the Threshold ladder.Now in the meantime of my journey I would buy and try some kind of tube based gear,depending on the speakers I had at the time,generally would get some kind of set Tube amp,and pre.

So then I would have a totally different flavor to change my system as I wanted to.Now Pass Labs and others were gaining momentum and popularity in the mainstream,so Offcourse I followed right along to the first watt days,still owning tube gear of some kind also.

Now I classify myself as a music lover first and audiophile second,but I also enjoy listening and learning about the gear,I’ve been a Avionics technician at a major airline for 30 yrs now,so I gained a little knowledge about electronics in general.
I know I said in the beginning that I wouldn’t mention any brand names,but it’s rather difficult to not.

Along this journey,I’ve always seeked a certain sonic presentation that really has stayed the same for my ears all of these years.

1.Correct tone and timbre that’s pleasing to me.
2.Enough detail and resolution that convey the bloom and tiny nuances of the music.
3.Properly layered soundstage that’s precise but also holographic as well.
4.Image size that’s realistic to scale.

With all of that said,I decided to try one of these popular modern one box wonders and hear for myself what all the fuss was about.
All I can say is that I’m completely satisfied with it and need or want anything else,but I absolutely have no regrets trying all the other gear either.

The subject of Physcoacoustics is something that I have personally studied and find quite interesting and It most definitely can affect our sonic choices in gear,and I do believe everyone should be awhere.

There’s a nicely written paper from several yrs ago,written by Nelson Pass that explains harmonic distortions,and what is pleasing to some people may not be pleasing to others.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_dist_fdbk.pdf

My advice to anyone pondering the OP’s questions is basically you just need to try some different gear in your own system and see what works the best for you.
There’s a huge big world of gear available nowadays.

In summary,I don’t miss tubes or class a SS one bit,but absolutely no regrets either.It’s all about the journey and seeking musical bliss.

Enjoy the music,
Kenny.