Technics 1200GR Owners

I’ve just recently bought a 1200GR, and a Zu Denon 103.  I’d be curious what others think of the table and it’s sound who have had it a while and if there are any suggestions you would like to share to get the best out of it. 

Just for for reference sake my main rig is a VPI Prime with Eagle PSU and Roadrunner tach, two belts with HRX Pulley and Soundsmith Carmen II. 
last_lemming
I do not have the GR, I have the G but have heard the GR.  It is a very nice table.  I think both the G and GR are very neutral.  You hear what is there, no more , no less.  It does not add anything on its own.  Some tables have a certain sound, whether its homogenized, warm, etc.  The Technics tables do a good job of getting out of the way.  The VPI's have a certain sound to them thats is very enjoyable as I have had a VPI for many years.  The Technics just give you what is there on the recording.
Unfortunately DL-103R modded by Zu does not get what’s on the records, because it has a Conical tip with very small contact area, also the Technics tonearm is not heavy enough (the effective mass) for low compliance oldschool cartridges. The life of the conical tip is very short and it must be retipped every 300hrs. Do you like rolled off bass and treble? Using conican tip nowadays is very strange decision. 
I just bought the SL1210GR about a month ago.  So far I'm absolutely loving it!  I've been switching out carts to find the best match in my system - Ortofon 2M Black/Bronze, Kontrapunkt B, and Clearaudio Maestro V2.  No clear winner yet, as they all have their own signature, and all sound wonderful.

I use the Technics stock headshell, an Ortofon LH-9000, and a Yamamoto Sound HS-2HS-2 headshell.  All adding a mild signature that sounds good IMO.  With the non-Technics headshells, I am using the additional tonearm weight.

I did remove the stock feet, and replaced them with an Isonoe Suspension Footer system and sorbothane boots w/ glass inserts, bought from KAB USA.  Certainly helps with vibration, and blacker backgrounds.

I've also been playing around with different mats.  I did not care much for the stock rubber mat, although it's not terrible.  I've been going back and forth with a Funk Firm Achromat (5mm), and a Poly-Glass mat with a thin rubber mat on top.  More more lively midrange in my experience.