Speakers "Disappearing"

I have read a lot about speakers "disappearing" so that one can't tell from where the sound is emanating. But, what about all the stereo tunes where the recordiing engineer intentionally pans the music to come from one side or the other? Can the speakers be made to "disappear" in that situation? Or, is it just the nature of the particular recording?
rlb61
@milpai ... thanks. That’s what I’ve suspected. I’ve done the whole measuring thing and have my speakers equidistant (front, back and sides) to within about 1/4". That’s about as good as it’s gonna get. The speakers do "disappear" for the most part, but there are those records where it’s just obvious as to the location of the music.
@rlb61 ,
You are welcome. It is fun when the loudspeakers disappear. I am like "a kid in a candy shop" when this happens.
@georgehifi  ... any idea where I can get that disc? I looked on Amazon and the Chesky website, but couldn't find it.
Post removed 
rlb61 OP232 posts03-24-2018 12:02pm@georgehifi  ... any idea where I can get that disc? I looked on Amazon and the Chesky website, but couldn't find it.
https://cheskyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chesky-records-jazz-sampler-audiophile-test-vol-1

Cheers George