Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
I’m very much enjoying the back and forth. My budget is slim and Ive settled on a blue note vault 2 for MQA decoding/streaming from Tidal. I have an old Technics for my albums but will only get used 5% of the time. My condo will be my home for many years to come and the room is huge and odd shaped with tall ceilings. Speakers need to be very close to the wall (WAF) so looking at either active dynaudio active speakers and turn down the bass, or passive dynaudios + 2170 (used) with room perfect or primaluna tube intregrated + dynaudio passives. I think I’d benifit from room correction as I can’t really do proper acoustic treatments. Being budgets what they are it’s a bit of a dance... I could always purchase active dynaudios now and hunt for a used 2170 as folks flip them for an even better sound acting as a passive room correction. I’ll let you folks get back to it and thanks to the OP for starting a dialog. 
Yes the 2170 changed my life. I listen to music in my home 12 hours a day. No TV. It never gets too warm, consumes only 20-25 watts of power, is lightweight and attractive, and is not a fussy piece of gear to own. I keep mine on 24/7 for best sound with no worries.

It makes your speakers sound as the designer intended in your own space. It replaced $20,000 with of tube gear, dac, and assorted cabling! It simply sounds wonderful. Always musical with beautiful tone and ease. Music is never forced or edgy. I have tried several tube amps with the 2170 and the 2170 sounds best on its own. Yes even better than the tube amps I used with the 2170 as a preamp.
I even tried Lyngdorf’s own 2400 amp hooking it up with a digital cable. No, the 2170 sounded best on its own again.

Room correction, in my estimation, does so much to improve the sound that you quickly forget about tubes in the system. I tried yet another tube amp last week as I do love tubes and building point to point wired tube gear. This was a nice el84 based amp using old Scott iron. I have been working on the amp for some time. I love the sound of the amp, but in the end the 2170 on its own was better yet again.

The 2170 is the absolute center piece of my system and I love it!

Being an avid DIY guy I did do a couple of things to my unit that voids the warranty😔, but the results were stellar. Just check out my virtual system to read about the details.

I can easily and whole heartedly recommend this one box system to all here on the Gon.
@grannyring Given the 2170 is about 3 years old, do you think the digital to analog conversion of 2170 can be vastly improved? Given how this keeps improving every year, I'd be curious to know if 3400 has a difference compare to 2170 in terms of digital to analog conversion in addition to power.

This is the only reason it's giving me a pause of having  a 2170 as a long term gear - what if the digital to analog conversion gets outdated fast.
@grannyring
@kdude66
Question for you guys.  I just spent a lot of time on optimizing my DI's with room treatments and adding subs.  The subs are in the corners and the DI's well out into the room. See my pics--https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7021
So I read that the room correction works best with speakers right up against the front wall.  So what is your experience with speaker placement/room correction.  Is it compatible with subs? Thanks.
The 2170 isn’t a class d amp per say,it works differently than other class d amps.
The 2170 and probably the 3400 as well,not enough info on the 3400,use a Texas Instruments chip that converts any incoming “Digital” signal into PWM and then any kind of Dsp is applied to the signal at this time,that would include volume setting,room perfect,and the preset voicings,which I don’t use but have played with.The finished dsp corrected amplified signal is then converted to a analog waveform right before the speaker outputs.

I know I had the same concerns before buying one of being outdated in 2 or 3 yrs like any other dac,but with the conversions that are taking place from the digital side only I don’t see any concern to be obsolete any time soon.

Now if you do use the Analog inputs,the incoming signal is converted to pcm 24/96 first before being converted to PWM,I can’t recall the dac chip offhand,It’s a top quality chipset that’s common in today’s technology but certainly will be obsolete or outdated as time goes by.I don’t use any of the Analog inputs,I only stream a Digital signal from my Roon endpoint via USB,so I personally don’t worry about it.
I also use HQ player in combination with Roon and tidal,and Offcourse HQ player uses software for its upsampling and filtering with lots of everchanging capability.All I know for sure is any change that I make with the HQ players settings definitely are reflected in the sound.

I don’t know anything about what Crown is using nowadays,I haven’t used any of their gear in yrs,so I can’t comment on that.

Kenny.