Vandersteen VLR Wood ..any love for these?

are there any owners out here. setup tips , wire, amps. thanks Greg
128x128drumsgreg
Do you guys know what the difference is between the 'wood' version and the older VLR? They look totally different. I have a beat on the older version that looks like a box with the stocking around it. Are these any good for the same type of setup? Close to the rear wall?  Anyone compare the newer VLR wood to the prior VLR?  
Unless they are super cheap (under $500), I would wait for a pair of VLR wood.Mr. V. constantly upgrades the innards, so the more recent edition will have the most current sound (compared to new).
B
Older pair is in the VCC type cloth wrap design discontinued over 5 years ago a nice pair of speakers for cabinet mounting but mostly needs a woofer.

The Newer Wood finish VLRs are the ones to find as they can be used by many without a Sub with close wall positioning, on a stand, bookshelf or in cabinet works well in both applications.

Where VLR design excels is its lighter mass faster drivers,
 Time coherence allows the music to feel more the way we hear in nature disappearing into the room while preserving the overtones. Its percussive shots are more meaningful with live music lending a sense of realness rarely found in this range.

Its also quickly apparent how this design wisely avoids the typical, amazing bass bump, Wow man is there a sub in the system that robs the listener of the musics midrange richness and sophistication so typically found with other smaller box designs with their bass bump, mid-suck out and bleached squeaky clean approach that the average guy accepts as clarity.

I remember a 4 K pair of ATCs coming in on trade for the Wood VLRs with the comparison playing Sonny Rollins Sax and later Nina Simone's voice with AQ, an Ayre or Belles integrated just very seamless.
 Many Kef 50 owners after hearing the VLRs mention wish they had heard these first.
 Take a listen....
 Best JohnnyR

Interesting; looks like MusicDirect has the VLRs so with their return policy, if they don't work for my room, I could swap for something else.

Do the VLRs have the laid back Vandersteen sound signature? I auditioned the KEF 50s for about 5 minutes and they were too analytical and in your face for me.  But I've always like the Vandersteen floor stander's sound 

@kansas400 ....I was in your boat not long ago.  I had the Kefs.  Couldn’t resist the temptation to hear what all the buzz was about.  They were ok, but as Johnny R stated, there was that bass bump creeping into the midrange.

I ended up selling them for little loss, thank goodness.  Guess what I ended up buying?  Vandersteen VLR!  Couldn’t be happier.  Even Steven...no bass bump, very balanced, transparent and good tight bass that doesn’t encroach on the all too important midrange.  If by laid back, you mean musical/unfatiguing, that they are.  They draw you in instead of shouting at you.  Definitely worth a try imo.  MD has a great return policy/audition period.

Listen to Senor Rutan, many times I wish I had.  Now, time for a Belles Aria to mate with them.  Best to you!