Vandersteen VLR Wood ..any love for these?

are there any owners out here. setup tips , wire, amps. thanks Greg
128x128drumsgreg

Showing 5 responses by kansas400

Do you guys know what the difference is between the 'wood' version and the older VLR? They look totally different. I have a beat on the older version that looks like a box with the stocking around it. Are these any good for the same type of setup? Close to the rear wall?  Anyone compare the newer VLR wood to the prior VLR?  
Interesting; looks like MusicDirect has the VLRs so with their return policy, if they don't work for my room, I could swap for something else.

Do the VLRs have the laid back Vandersteen sound signature? I auditioned the KEF 50s for about 5 minutes and they were too analytical and in your face for me.  But I've always like the Vandersteen floor stander's sound 

Have you guys (drumsgreg and carmenc) used a sub with the VLRs, or just close to the wall and no sub?  I would think the vandy sub would work well but not sure if you need a sub. With the older model VLR, those definitely needed a sub, so just curious about these newer VLR Woods? 
Hi Carmenc - what are the dimensions of your room and do you have the VLRs on the long wall or short wall? 
Hi Drumsgreg - that is interesting you have both VLR and 2CE sig II. I don't have any issues with wife factor since the potential speakers would go in my man cave which is 12 by 20 ft or so.  So I could find a used pair of 2 CE sig 2 for under $2,000 or new VLRs with stands for about under $2,000 as well - so same price point. 

Given no issues with WAF or size limitations, if you had to pick either the VLRs or the 2CE in your drum room (your larger room) which would you pick?