We Need A Separate Forum for Fuses

LOL, I'll bet I gotcha on that Title! ;)  BTW, I put this thread under "Tech Talk" category as it involves the system physically, not tangentially. 

More seriously, two question survey:

1. Do you think designer fuses are A) a Gift to audiophiles, or B) Snake Oil 

2. Have you ever tried them?  Yes or No

In the tradition of such questions on Agon, I'll weigh in as we go along... 
Feel free to discuss and rant all you wish, but I would like to see clear answers to the questions. :) 
douglas_schroeder
Whoa! Hey, back up!! You’re saying toasters are now audio devices? Interesting...🤡 I’m afraid that argument is toast.
Should there be a separate forum about fuses?  Yes, keep them separated so they can't harm the general public...;)

But seriously, fuses in the power supply are one thing.  It makes me laugh when people tout changes to air, depth, soundstage, etc, when they change the AC fuse to some expensive nonsense.  Fuses in line with speakers are another.  I can see them making a difference in the sound.
@chefhat, "thought your tweeter story was fascinating, but I would doubt whether the expensive fuse would sound better than the regular fuse - however I can see why no fuse would sound the best!"

Looks like we agree no fuse would sound the best.  Inherent in that position, I believe comes the understanding of how much sonic damage a fuse imparts.  To that end, it seems easy enough to use the same patterns of better materials and / or metallurgies producing better sound as resistors, capacitors, switches, etc.

Regarding the measurements often brought up, as someone who worked as a materials science engineer / R&D chemist at a company providing the raw materials to the likes of Vishay, Dale, Mills, IRC, Raytheon, GE, Chrysler, GM / Ford, Bosch, TRW, Panasonic, Kyocera, Samsung, and on and on I believe the requirements for achieving an ohmic contact necessary for measuring the resistivity of these sort of low-range materials lies outside the capability of any high-end audio company I can think of.  They simply lack the resources to do so: money, equipment, personnel, methodology, experience, understanding, and an overall benchmarking / measuring stick itself.  Beyond the vast array of all of the equipment we had bought or developed to provide the hard numbers, using my eyes with optical and electron microscopes became an invaluable part in helping me develop the sort of conductor, resistor, semiconductor, dielectric, glass, solder, and polymer materials we did.  To that end, although I do not own these sorts of fuses, knowing the chasm that lies between the differences in the properties of the materials themselves and the ability of the sort of test equipment this industry employs to perceive and evaluate them along with my own experience as an audiophile, when folks claim to hear sonic differences, I believe them
As someone who has no fuses in his system nor even any place for one, I think I can say without any reservation the noise and distortion is extremely low. Of course, there are many reasons why that is so, including but not limited to, being off house AC and having no ground to contend with.