subwoofer question......what size sub ?

have a pair of Proac Studio 200 speakers and thinking of adding a sub....but with the drivers in the Proacs being 7", what size sub ( driver ) should be used ?     keep it close to the same size or go with a 10-12 driver ?

what brand of sub works well with Proac ?
addyson815
It sits between the amplifier (either at line level if you have that or with an attenuation cable at speaker level). It does not do low pass filtering or anything for you. You have to figure that out in the usual way. All it does is measure the room response of the subwoofer (an easy one time only automatic procedure with the provided microphone) and then applies an appropriate correction curve to the signal before it reaches the subwoofer. Since it removes bass peaks you may have to increase the sub’s level a bit, and that is all. See here for the manual: http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/antimode8033CinemaSIIen.pdf
I have found it very easy to use, and remarkably effective for relatively little money. See here for a review: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/dspeaker-anti-mode-8033-dsp-subwoofer-equalizer-tas-204/
In my case, my main speakers are Quad 2805s, and they lacked a bit of deep bass. So I added a B&W PV1d, but found it hard to integrate the sub perfectly. So I remembered all those stories about fasts stats and slow subs, and feared I had made a mistake. Then I stumbled upon the Antimode by chance and decided to take a gamble, because the theory and the physics seemed right, and so did the room response measurements that they presented as examples. And indeed, the bass suddenly became much tighter, more tuneful, and ’faster’. What I learned is that fast and slow has nothing to do with the moving mass of the speaker but with the slowly lingering decay of the in room response that you can see in waterfall plots. Stats are fast because they are dipoles that excite fewer room modes, and subs are slow because they go low and thus excite many room modes. Deal with those, and the sub becomes almost as ’fast’ as the stats.
I have since learned that multiple subs are another good way to proceed, and the conclusion is, of course, that combining those two approaches is likely to give the best results.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions about the Antimode. I will seriously look into it, as I can hook it up as designed.
Kenny
Kenny, which version of the Rythmik A370 plate amp did you get for your GR Research OB/Dipole Subs? Whether the regular with RCA's only, or the XLR option model, the DSPeaker Anti-mode can be inserted between your pre-amp and the sub plate amps. Doing so keeps your main amp and speakers out of the processing altogether. By the way, the Anti-Mode you want is the Dual Core, not the 8033. The Dual Core provides room correction for a pair of stereo subs, the 8033 does not. Fantastic product, btw.
bpd24,
I have a pair of A370PEQ amps. I was speedreading the 8033's product page looking at the pictures. I saw right and left inputs/outputs on the back. I am using my preamp out to both sub amps, so I'll take another look at the Antimode models. Thanks, for the advice and praise.
Kenny
You don’t need the more expensive Dualcore for two subs. The 8033 will happily equalize two or even four subs, but only in mono. That, however, many would argue is the best way to connect subs anyway. See here for connection examples of the various 8033 models:
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-connection-examples.shtml