Opinions: Used BAT VK-51SE or New VK-23SE

Looking for any BAT owners out there that would have an opinion on which piece I should go with.  I can get a used VK-51SE for slightly less than a new VK-23SE.  The 51 is from ~2003 if my google searches were correct.  The 23 is obviously newer which means newer technology.  But that 51 was their top dog back in the day and all the reviews I can find rave about it.  The 51 is factory refurbished as well.

I'm leaning towards the 51, but would appreciate any thoughts BAT owners would have.  
snafujg
I've been using a VK-300SE integrated around 13-14 years and I love it. Not dry at all. Just sounds like music. I did spring for the NOS "DR" 6H30 tubes which make a difference.
As for OP, I'd be looking at a used (good luck) VK-33SE.
Uncle Kevin is ga-ga over it. Watch youtube video and find out why.
@mattmiller , ahhh, now I see why you were calling Nordost and Morrow cables "neutral" on that other thread.
I do believe that they would sound very good with warmer components like McIntosh and Dynaudio. The upper midrange/ lower treble emphasis on those silver clad copper cables would offset the warmish balance of your amp/speakers and probably "balance out" very nicely.

Anyway, to this thread, I have owned 9 pieces of BAT gear over the years (none in the past 10 years though), but "dry" is not a term that I would associate with the BAT gear that I have owned.
Sure, there are warmer/sweeter sounding preamps, there are also preamps that offer higher resolution (dryer sounding?).
Personally, I currently own Audio Research preamp, and I do enjoy it, but I would say that it is "dryer" sounding than the BAT VK-51SE that I owned years ago.
The higher resolution of the ARC mates well with the warmth of my Pass Labs amps though, it’s all about synergy.

Most folks like to balance resolution (dry) with warmth in their systems, though we go about it different ways. Some prefer drier cables with warmer components, some drier components with warmer cables, etc.
There are many ways to achieve a similar end result.

Bottom line: If presented with the choice between a VK-51SE and a VK-23SE, I would choose the VK-51SE, as I will take almost any tube preamp over almost any SS preamp.
I did own a tubed BAT amp (VK-75SE) and a SS BAT amp (VK-600SE w/ Super-Pak), and I preferred the sound of the VK-75SE.
@dweller I saw Kevin's video which is what turned me onto BAT.  I was looking into the Primaluna Dialogue Premium when I saw his video about the VK-33SE.  That one is out of my price range, unless I find a used one.  And I haven't seen one...

The Primaluna is right in the sweet spot for my budget.  The BAT's I'm looking at will be at the very top end and won't leave any room for cables.  If I could find a preamp in that 3k to 3500 range, I leave myself money for some good cables.  Once I get over $4k, that extra cash is not so available. 

Any particular McIntosh or Audio Research preamps you can suggest in my range?  Used is not a problem for me.  

Also read very good things about synergy between Accuphase and Focal.  But not sure I'll be able to find any Accuphase Preamps even used in my price range.
Any particular McIntosh or Audio Research preamps you can suggest in my range?

What is it that you are looking for? Point us in a general direction.
Are you looking for more resolution, or more musicality?
Normally you have to decide which direction you want to go.
As you get warmer/sweeter sound, you tend to lose resolution, and vice versa.

Also, do you really need the 300 wpc that the Emotiva XPR-2 amp puts out?
I ask because your speakers seem fairly efficient, and perhaps a nice integrated amp may be the answer.

Perhaps a BAT VK-300(0)SE as @dweller mentions above, a Pass Labs INT-150, Coda CSiB, or a McIntosh Integrated amp (too many choices to list) would provide even better results than mating any preamp to your Emotiva amp.

If you do need all of that power, the Coda CSiB puts out a hefty 400 wpc into 8 ohms and 800 wpc into 4 ohms!! They do pop up occasionally for about $3K used.

Integrated amps would save you money on your cable budget too.