Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I believe I may have purchased the last pair of Thiel 2.7 to leave Nashville. They were advertised on eBay as b stock from a warehouse leftovers, but I couldn’t find a thing wrong with them. Birdseye maple wood. Thiel shipped them VIA AIR on a skid. I recently added a Classe CA2300 and a Mytek Manhattan II. Using Audirvana as playback software, I was blown away by the improvement in sound. Miss Jim Thiel designs. Don’t know why someone didn’t pick up where he left off.  
Hello all,

Just wanted to share a email I received from Rob at Coherent Source Service re the Electronic Bass Equalizer module that the CS 3.5 uses:

Hi Arvin,

Thank you for the kind words. Also thank you very much for the ownership of our CS3.5’s, they truly are stunning performers. As for the CS3.5 Bass EQ, there are a few issues with age. With age the eq’s will develop some DC negative voltage output, at the output jacks. This DC voltage at the outputs Usually 1or 2 volts will cause weak and/or distorted signal output.The problem is almost always caused by an FET which has developed a short due to static voltage being applied to the output during hook-up. EQ’s with serial numbers above 3770 have had this circuit removed. I also find that some EQ’s, can cause cracking and popping, due to dirty trimpots. Most of these EQ issues can be corrected by cleaning and adjusting of the channels biasing circuitry. The EQ service is a standard rate of $150. Please let me know if you would like to set ups a return for servicing the EQ. As for the caps. It is rare that a problem occurs, and is usually a factory maintenance issue.

Thanks for your business,

Rob Gillum

Coherent Source Service

763 Newtown Pike Ste. 130

Lexington, KY 40511

859-554-9790

[email protected]

Not sure who else here owns 3.5's or uses the Bass Equalizer, but I figured I'd share just in case.  At any rate, my module does exhibit the crackling noise Rob mentions in his email, so I will most definitely send mine in for service.  The $150 flat rate he's quoting seems very reasonable, especially in the world of hi-fi services!

Arvin

Good to see you again- dherring,

keep me posted as you massage those CS 2.7 speakers into your system.

Happy Listening!