Hearing loss , speakers or headphones ?

Hello hello kind forum folks. I have substantial high hearing loss, about the top octave and a half of the piano. I’m a jazz a drummer and no longer hear the ride cymbal on a recording unless it’s very high in the mix. I use totem sttaf and NAD 356 AMP and nad CD player. I’ve tried many phones, not super high end. What are your suggestions ? The totems are great for solo classical piano and on jazz the bass sounds like it’s in the room. Very good. 

But For clarity on a well mixed vocal like James Taylor whose late recordings are sonically great IMO the voice sounds muddy and the bass I’ll defined. I know it’s a broad question but got me to capture some of the sonic joy with the hearing I have left what do you recommend. Headphones with an amp?

the best phones I’ve owned are the old etymotic Er 4. I now use Beyerdynamic highly isolated phones for when I have a recording project. 

Ironically i I heard a pair of audio engine powered monitors and the clarity was quite pleasing g for a five hundred dollar pair of speakers. I also use Focal powered monitors for my computer. 

Thanks fir any afvice. Differ t speakers? High end phones ?  I appreciate your help 

Brian
brianwillson
thanks i was just reading about the 660., really more in my price range. Cant do the HD 800 right now. I do want get a headphone amp beyond my dragonfly. I've read over and over that that really helps. I have Focal power monitors so Im interested in their phones. I heard their base model towers and they are really good.
Shure SE846 are the best IEM period. Etymotic ER4 were good once (like 20 years ago) but have long been superseded. Headphones will be easiest for audibility as there is no room reflection/reverb in the sound and these IEMs eliminate all background sound by 37dB making critical listening much easier.

For computer speakers Genelec active 8020 would be ideal they are not true reference like ATC but have a pleasing coloration with a small tilt up in the treble which should suit your hearing.

If you are doing recording projects then ATC is best as they go very loud without any change in the sound balance and little to no compression. Honestly though, if your hearing is shot (my sympathies as this must be so frustrating) then you probably should hire others to mix and master your recording projects....

FYI Clarity in sound production is a problem with a lot of modern bass heavy speakers and headphones. Resonant bass will mask midrange ruining clarity. With ER4 you have very little bass so you are on the right track. For speakers ATC are very tight. Totem tend to be mildly bass boomy and are pretty good compared to most hifi bass heavy speakers.
Sorry a correction. The Massdrop HD6xx are same as the HD650, not the 600.  I just realized the typo. 
OP if your considering headphones have a look at the new generation of Planar Magnetic cans by HiFiMan & Audeze...You basically get a speaker like Magnapan in a headphone easy to drive...They are know for highly accurate sound and have beautifully extended treble response...Also have a look at Grado and AKG,both known to be lit up on the top end...
Do you have hearing aids?
Good hearing aids will stream Bluetooth from a variety of devices. iPhone included. With lossless files might sound decent.
Or listen to whatever speaker you like with the hearing aids. My wife loves music and some Oticon hearing aids were a life changer.