How do SVS subwoofers compare to REL?

I'm looking for subwoofers (one or two) that have a very "tight" natural sound and are not overly boomy. In the future I hope to pair them with some Magnepan speakers. Magnepans are known for having a natural sound, and I want to compliment that.

I've been told that the REL subwoofers (e.g.,T/9i or S/3 SHO, etc., are a good match for Magnepan speakers. However, SVS subwoofers have also been recommended to me.

I don't have any background in high-end audio, so I am interested in opinions of folks here. Are SVS subwoofers considered generally as good as REL in regard to the features I'm interested in? Is either clearly superior? (I had never heard of SVS before yesterday.)

Which subwoofer size (in REL or SVS) would be a good match for a pair of Magnepan 1.7i in an 18 foot x 15 foot room (ceiling about 10 feet) with carpet on floor?

I'm looking at these so far:

REL T/9i Subwoofer about $1300
REL Acoustics S/3 SHO Subwoofer (Super High Output) about $2100
SVS SB-4000 13.5" 1200W about $1600
Any other recommendations?

Total subwoofer budget is around $2600 max. ($2000 or less would be better.)

Also, I believe it is better to buy two smaller subwoofers, compared to one larger one, right? (I'm just not sure where I would put two. Placing one is easier in this room. And I plan to connect everything with speaker wires, not wireless.)

Thanks

lowoverdrive
I’ve used an Antimode, but haven’t ever used a DDRC. In principle there is no reason why any line-level DSP couldn’t be used between preamp and SVS subwoofers. One would just leave the subwoofer eq flat (as shipped) and let the outboard DSP unit do the room correction.

The biggest difference I see between the two from a very quick skim is that the Antimode addresses the low frequencies, the DDRC corrects the entire frequency range. If you are happy with the response of your Maggies then DDRC would be overkill. In my opinion, the frequencies addressed by the Antimode are the most problematical anyway and far and away swamp most higher frequency response anomalies.

I will say as a matter of my personal prejudices and not in anyway trying to make a statement of absolute fact, I much prefer to use acoustic treatment (absorption, diffusion and bass trapping) as a necessary first step to address room geometry effects and only then apply DSP, and the minimum DSP necessary, after experimenting with speaker placement in an acoustically treated room. The only DSP I apply is to the range addressed by the subwoofers.

But then, I am a guy who still thinks analog sounds better than most digital, even though digital is definitely getting better and I do listen to my share of digital content.
Woofer "speed" is a silly term that should be declared useless as it exists only in the minds of lazy reviewers and Bo. I use 2 RELs I bought at different times…both from the same era I think, and both cost around 200 bucks each used on Ebay. A highly recommended route to bass enhancement…be patient, and buy ’em used. A Q150e and a Q108 MK 2…both require careful matching to the main speaker’s frequency drop off, sensitive placement (they’re easily offended) and output adjustments here and there. I use them wired equally instead of stereo because I stick the 108 in a window to my deck sometimes for Al Fresco listening. Plus hey…they’re different. I make my own cables for them (Canare quad stuff with AQ spades and the required Speakons in the "high level" inputs). Recently I wreaked havoc on them by buying very efficient speakers (Klipsch Heresy IIIs) to match with my 12 watt per side single ended amp, so since the RELs get less signal I had to mess with them a bit to get ’em right again. Plus the Heresys surprisingly have no deep bass (58hz and it dies). Worth it though...I don’t use DSP because I don’t seem to need it, but I bought a Schiit Loki and it works great for a little boost or cut here and there, although most of the time it’s out of the loop, so to speak. The amazingly transparent Loki is also "el cheapo" which seems to be a theme in my rig, but the whole thing sounds astonishingly good.
wolf, i might well fall into the lazy reviewer camp (and we might be getting into a semantic debate), but i find "speed" a useful  description for a sub--to me a fast sub connotes absence of bloat and decay; likewise the ability to react to the signal without obscuring it. thus i characterize martin logan dynamo and svs i've owned as fast subs and some of the paradigm and others i've owned as sluggish/slow.
Well, lucky for you I haven’t made my all encompassing declaration yet…I simply am noting the fact that woofers get the same signal and respond at exactly the same time as main drivers regardless of the material they’re made of…there’s been talk of aluminum being "faster," etc., which simply isn’t true (ask a bass player) and as has been noted, it’s generally room nodes that are excited by varying degrees by bass although I will say some woofers might be TOO "bassy" by design (that’s what you’re talking about I think)…thus making them seem bloated…like me (just ate too much and now I’m "slow"). I will give you a 30 day pass to use "slow," although after that there’s a 2 point penalty unless the use of the term is explained in a rambling pile of nearly useless verbiage like this.
The term " speed " is quite real in the audio world, whether applied to subs, speakers, amps, etc. It is part of prat. It is one of those attributes I listen for in any component. When talking about the subject concerning speakers and subs, the room and speaker/listening position plays an important part. Amps, and other parts of the system, are a different matter.