Putting your components inbetween your speakers.

Would like to know if there is any truth about putting your components inbetween your speakers will affect the imaging other than an amp between the speakers on the floor.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Issues of practicality.  How long are you speaker cables?  Or do you want to run a long interconnect to the power amp?  Or do you go for an optimal set-up and bring the extra $$ for extra long cables or interconnects?

The LG OLED sits on a low (Sanus) stand pushed back almost touching the front wall.  The backs of the speakers are over 3' out from the front wall.  The audio equipment stand is tight in a corner, behind to the right of the right speaker, because that's already a long run of speaker cable to the left speaker.  BTW, it's all set up on the long wall orientation.

The flat-screen TV made the biggest difference.  I've tried various sound-absorbing/deflecting baffles sitting in front of/over the screen, and can hear no difference at all in the soundstage vs. naked.

I have a set of magie i.7s in my fairly lg.dedicated listening room and have them just shy of 4' from the front wall and 5' apart. With my 4'w x 4'h cabinet between the speakers, even though back against the wall and some two ft. behind the plane of the speakers, I was getting some annoying glare at the top edge of female vocals. Putting 1ohm resisters in place of the solid jumpers, as suggested by Magnapan, didn't help. I replaced the 4' cabinet with a much lower (21"h x 42"w) open rack and hung ceiling to floor acoustic drapes across the wall behind and on side walls. The glare problem was solved and imaging and stage is very deep, wide and well placed. Even though my audio equipment is still between the speakers it has far less influence and since I don't like long cable runs, I am most happy with my equipment set up as it now is...Jim
Made some changes in my room recently, built a new TT Rack and located it on the side of the room, away from an overhead Heat Vent that was spewing Dry Air and Dust. Rebuilt the Center Rack also (smaller, shorter) this has cleaned up the Center Imaging as well. Win, win.

https://s20.postimg.org/ldt1t83ct/IMG_1940.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/ixr8fi3bh/IMG_1945.jpg

For imaging and depth perspective there should be nothing between the speaker, and the back wall between the speakers should be as far back as possible.
I can say is Neville Thiele (rip) taught me this, and the result was a no brainer, so much so I even took the wall out in-between the speakers and left just a short 1.5mt wall behind each speaker for loading purpose, and the depth of image increased even more, to a visual/aural placement of depth imagery up to 5mts back behind the speakers.

Cheers George
George, it is about preference also.  I do not like an image and soundstage that deep with my system.  I prefer layers just behind the plane of the speakers up to 10 ft and in some cases with some layering in front of the plane at the same time.  More of a 10th row perspective.

Most do not have the endless options to experiment with placement.  Some basics to work on in any room:

No equipment rack at the first reflection point on the side

No equipment rack in corners of the room

Equal distance from the sidewall on both speakers

No rack between the speakers (a luxury for most) or almost as good - low, beneath the tweeters and equal or less to the MR.

Diffusion at first reflection point or absorption - smaller room should use absorption.

These basics have worked for me in several rooms I have had some small and some large, but all challenging.

Cheers!