Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
FWIW, eBay lists a "crossover upgrade service" for Thiels -- I have not explored this though.
Yes, I saw this and exchanged a couple of e-mails with him. Me:
I am considering buying Thiel CS2.4s and am curious about your crossover upgrade. What does this entail? Is it similar or better than the CS2.4SE crossover with Clarity Cap capacitors? Do you need the speaker or would I install the new crossover myself? If the former, can you upgrade the wiring at the same time? Also, there is a pair of 2.4s on ebay right now but they lack the cable nut. Do you have any ideas for replacement of those (I have Cardas cables with the spade connection)?
Him:
You get clarity cap with vishey bypass in the tweeter section. Electrolytic capacitors will be replaced with new ones as they go bad after 20-30 years, also where possible electrolytics will be replaced with film caps or bypassed to improve performance. Inductors will be upgraded as needed with larger awg wire type and resistors in the tweeter section direct path will be replaced with film resistors or mundorf type.

Upgrade cost is $210 each.

The terminal posts on the back can be replaced. Not sure if I can find just the nuts.
Me:
So, $420 for the pair. Is this done in your shop or do I install the new boards myself?

If the terminal posts are replaced, can the new terminals be the Cardas clamps? Can it be re-configured for bi-wiring?
Him:
Yes this will be done at my lab and fully tested on the analyzer before shipping.

Yes you can go bi-wire, but fancy terminal posts can get quite expensive and using 4 of them will increase the price. If you have a specific terminal post you would like to use, let me know, send me the link.

Once we decide on all the detail we can figure out a final price.

Here is my website to understand more of what I do. I normally design as a consultant for some brand speakers, but work has been slow and am doing this ebay thing for the time being.

Nedlab.com
Seems promising to me. Who wants to go first? Might also be worth asking Rob Gillium if he offers upgrades for the crossovers. What we really need is a geek who took the time to experiment and listen with a bunch of parts combinations (it sounds like Jim Thiel did this when he selected the Clarity Caps). This is why, IMO, Wilson speakers perform as well as they do. The basic technology and drivers are, um, basic. But Dave Wilson, apparently, is a careful listener and finely tweaked his cabinets, crossovers and wiring accordingly. The final products is not without flaws but far better than otherwise.
Beetlemania,

Does
" Yes this will be done at my lab and fully tested on the analyzer before shipping "
mean that you have to ship the speakers to him for this to be installed? It is unclear how this answers your question:
" Is this done in your shop or do I install the new boards myself? "
I interpreted that as he does all the work in his shop - you have to ship the speaker to him. But I don’t know why you couldn’t instead remove the crossover yourself and send only that to him. Maybe it depends on how comfortable you are removing and re-installing the crossover. Also, I imagine he would want to be sure his mods work! In my case, I was thinking about buying speakers that needed to be shipped to me anyhow, so only 1 extra ride in the cargo truck.

If you’re serious, I suggest asking him directly including how many he’s done and ask his opinion of how the mods improve the SQ.

OTOH, if you comfortable removing and installing the crossover you're probably also comfortable upgrading the capacitors (and other parts) yourself. A good place to start might be the latest top-shelf Clarity Caps.
Yikes!  That post about Thiel being "toast."

How does that comport with Jafant's recent contact with Rob suggesting parts will be available?