Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Seems as if I was in a "ruckus" without even realizing it.

let me clarify:

What upset me was that you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer.   Like being a prostitute at age 14, and being a drug addict, gives you 'soul' and 'passion' in your music.   All BS, of course.

Billie was failed by everyone in her life that she should have been able to trust.   Under American Law a 14 year old girl cannot even give consent to have sex, so how in the hell can she be a $5 pro.    Where were the adults???

I cringe when I hear her voice because I think of her age.   She sounded like she was 85, when age-wise, she should have been in her prime.  She was dead at age 44.   SAD CASE!!
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Holiday

Read the whole sad sorry mess.   As great as she was, second only to Ella, she was no where near close to what she could have been.

Cheers
Recent Arrival:

Lizz Wright -- GRACE

Three for three so far with my recent Amazon order.  Rene Marie, Dee Dee and now Lizz Wright.   All great.   Can't turn away.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjKukF2Psm4&index=4&list=PLgWmP-F0RTPNv2kQZauYKTIAUJabIFyr_

All the tracks are listed.   Treat yourself.

Cheers
You'd have to be very far from life to think that Billy was doing anything but dying a slow death before you very eyes on stage . And through NO fault of her own, a national treasure thrown on the garbage dump .
I'm streaming Huston Person and Ron Carter as I type. "Now's the Time/Something In Common"

Love it.

What upset me was that you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer. Like being a prostitute at age 14, and being a drug addict, gives you 'soul' and 'passion' in your music. All BS, of course.

Rok, who made the statement that upset you? Certainly wasn't me or Mary_jo.

We only made statements regarding your statement about her voice crackling.

Society at large or whoever put her in jail, said she was a Black Ho who needed to be in jail. But we never said anything like that.

Just as "Muddy Waters" and "Albert King's" suffering with injustice in Mississippi comes through in their songs. Her pain came through as well; she didn't have to dredge up the pain, because it was part of her, the same as her skin.

The invisible giant in the room is "racism".