Horn based loudspeakers why the controversy?

As just another way to build a loudspeaker system why such disputes in forums when horns are mentioned?    They can solve many issues that plague standard designs but with all things have there own.  So why such hate?  As a loudspeaker designer I work with and can appreciate all transducer and loudspeaker types and I understand that we all have different needs budgets experiences tastes biases.  But if you dare suggest horns so many have a problem with that suggestion..why?
128x128johnk

kosst_amojan:

why not keep your opinion to yourself UNTIL you´ve actually heard a well setup horn system, instead of playing crusader based on assumptions?

I hate redwine until I taste a good one?

weird approach

Post removed 
I bought my Heresys for their efficiency (used with my mighty 12 watt SEP) after a brief audition to see if I could stand the tone of these things…they seemed to sound nice enough in the showroom of the audio joint and although I use horn loaded PA speakers for shows (and own a small pair of 10" 2 way passive Mackies for my own amusement and monitor duties at shows if necessary), I haven’t owned horns for my home listening rig (my old Altec A7s were used for band gigs except for rare use as a stereo pair, or for background music between sets…loved those things)…The Heresys don’t necessarily "sound like horns"…they simply have a coherant and accurate clear tone that is non fatiguing and musical, and the efficiency is simply gravy…I have had to mess with the levels of my subs since the amp sends less signal to them relative to the mains, and the frequency "roll in" settings are different…but otherwise utterly enjoyable all around.
Kosst- {Since the horn market is a distinct minority in the larger hi-fi market, I'm clearly not the only one who doesn't like them. MOST people don't like them.}  Non sequitur  
Every speaker type, manufacturer and model has it's advantages and disadvantages, as well as it's fans and detractors.  I consider myself lucky; over the years I've been able to indulge my passion and curiosity to try all types of audio gear, including many speakers.  I like horns and I also like not-horns in the same way I like BBQ'd beef and pork.

I suspect that many audio guys are turned off by horns for one of two reasons:
1- word on the audio "street" is that horns suck, or
2- many folks are used to high power SS amplification and high SPL.  Some horns can handle and sound great with high power amps, but by nature of their design horns do not provide high SPL.  Play loud, yes.  Paint the picture of the old Maxell ad where the guy is being blown out his seat, no.  This is not a problem for me since I have never been to a concert or live music event that sounded anything like, (for example) a JBL L100.

The best horn speakers I have ever heard (owned, actually) were a pair of Earo 8 active, single point source, rear horn-loaded speakers from Sweden.  Stupidly expensive (but for the show special price) but these were the best overall speakers I have ever owned.  Not the best at everything, but the best overall.  To my ears, no other speaker has sounded as natural and organic as the Earo.

Similar, yet different is the new Rethm Bhaava speaker.  It's made in India, is of very high quality, sounds fantastic and is very affordable.  I was blown away by a recent demo.

I still own a pair of both Altec Lansing Model 14s and Bob Crites' Cornscala "D".  Both have been modded - the Altec by replacing the xover and the Cornscala by replacing the standard 15" woofer with a Faital unit and twaeking the xover.  Both speakers sound great in a small to moderate room, have wide sound dispersion, terrific imaging and no honkiness.

If you are into the classic Klipsch Heresy-type horn speaker I will advise you to look at ampsandsound.com.  Justin undersdtands horns for small rooms and makes a great speaker.  I owned a pair of custom speakers he made several years ago as prototypes.  I never should have sold them.