Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
Robert, I think you should try your Brooklyn directly into your power amp, avoiding the CP-500! The Mytek has a nice volume control so why don’t you just give it a try? I’ll bet on the Mytek DAC for transparency, resolution and speed... We’ll see about the mid-bass..
Folks,

I have many sources so using the DAC+ as a preamp will not work for me.

The CP-500 has numerous inputs, both RCA and XLR and several outputs as well. And I think I mentioned it sounds really good and has a tape loop. The control functions are above average as well.

On another subject, the MC input on the DAC+ is OK to good but I probably need to play it longer to see if it needs to break in. It’s unfairly being compared to a JC3+. So far it sounds a bit closed in and rolled off on top.

Y’all take care,
Robert
Robert - Thanks for your comments on the Brooklyn DAC+.  Out of my price range right now, but, you never know...

I think your ability to clearly hear and describe the differences between the Oppo and the Brooklyn imply that your preamp is indeed revealing and clean enough for the task. I, too, have a complex system with recording devices, an equalizer (oh no!!!) and numerous sources. My McIntosh preamp is indispensable in my system. Sometimes, practical considerations have to take precedence over an incremental increase in sound quality.
Hey Folks,

The DAC+ is doing well and is wonderful.

I am spinning vinyl through it as I write this.  It sounds surprisingly good.  I am not sure what caused the constricted sound the first time I tried the MC phono input (analog input set to MC Phone) but I am not hearing it now.  This the second time trying it and I warmed it up with the first two sides of a recent re-release of The Koln Concert.  The piano was full bodied and Keith's moans were clearly audible.

Currently listening to my original Decca pressing of Who's Next.  It sounds very good.  It is an above average recording/mastering/pressing for an early 70's rock record.  Unfortunatley it was not as well take care of by yours truly as some of my other LPs, but it is playable.  I need to run it through the RCM.  As far as negatives, doubled voices aren't as good as my JC3+ but then I would not expect that.  Also, with my ear close to a speaker I am hearing some noise and a whine when the music is not playing.  That could be my less than ideal cable routing. Not much else to complain about, especially for a phone section that is included in a DAC.

On the minus side,  I did have an issue a week or so ago when I tried the headphone output.  I was playing a non MQA source with MQA enabled and there was some kind of nastiness to the highs.  I heard it a little through the speakers as well.  I am not too worried about it as I believe it was some weird interaction between the non MQA source and the MQA filter.  I will test further.

I hope your folks are well and good,
Robert