Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
twoleftears (great handle...)
Thanks for the recommendation; just ordered it from Amazon.
Here are two lesser known albums I have found mesmerizing:
1. Zelenka: Orchestral Works by Archive and Camerata Bern; pay attention to the Hipocondrie
2. Edgar Meyer: Meyer/Bottesini Concertos by St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and Wolff; like the Bottesini in b-minor and Meyer is perhaps the greatest double bassist of his generation.
@twoleftears "String Paths" by Tabakova is amazing, I am listening to it thru Tidal now but CD is already ordered. My first impression: "guilty pleasures"!! Can't wait to give it a proper spin thru my stereo. CD itself will be placed between Vasks and Gorecki, to give Peteris Vasks some rest ;-)
Schubert,

The Franck Violin Sonata et al finally arrived.
I had almost forgotten how beautiful this piece is. The performance by Chung and Lupu is lush and luscious, especially the first movement. Never heard it played so sensitively. The Debussy and Chausson are a nice addition.
Newbee,

I had to order from Europe, but finally obtained the Grechaninov disc.
”Snowflakes” is delightful  I also love “Missa Sancti Spiritus.”
I haven’t listened to the symphony yet, but will.
Thanks for the recommendation!
You made my day rvpiano .
The Frank has always been a favorite of mine , usually have 3-4 different renditions .
I remember the first time I heard this one thinking "so that’s how you do it" !
And I had heard great artists , Menuhin and his sister, do it live .As you
no doubt know, Chung has had many health problems , her technique is nowhere as good as it once was, but hearing her live recently was a masterclass.Still a magnificent musician and damn the technique .
Lupu is Lupu . Like Liszt was Lizst .

P.S. I hope you haven’t forgotten how fine his String Quartet in D is .
Used to have a killer version of that by the Fitzwilliam Qt. on Decca .
 It surely must be one of the hardest Qt's to play in the rep, about like late  LvB .