aluminum platter vs Acrylic not what I thought

I recently got to hear a VPI scout with an aluminum platter and various platter mats.  I am having a hard time trying to understand where the fascination with aluminum is coming from.  The acrylic sounds far better.  Its not even close to my ears.  Is it that some people just never heard the scout with the acrylic platter?  I would strongly encourage anyone who is looking for a used scout with an acrylic platter to really take a good look at it.  It sounds much more like real music and for what these used scouts are going for, they are an incredible value.  Maybe its just system/cartridge synergy.  I actually thing the scout with the acrylic platter sounds just as good if not better and quieter than the classic with the aluminum platter.  The scout sounds more like an older Aries than the Classic does.  The advantage of the classic is the longer arm but I mean for many people, I am not sure you can do much better table than the scout with the acrylic platter for anywhere near to what they go for used and I would say they you could look at tables costing much more and still not get the music satisfaction in many ways that the scout accomplishes.  They just seem to portray the musical experience in a way that sounds right.  Aries and scoutmasters with acrylic have to sound killer.  The only platter that is as good that VPI made are there lead and hybrid metal aluminum/acrylic platter tables.  I think VPI is going in the wrong direction with aluminum.  To me the disadvantages far outweigh the benefits.  Others may disagree but if you find scout w/acrylic for a good deal, I would be all over it.  Sometimes you just don't know what ya have so I will probably hang on to mine for a while.
tzh21y
I have the Superplatter which I like alot. I heard that VPI's contractor had trouble machining the Superplatter to allow for proper rotational speed and stability. But mine works just fine.
perazzi28, Thanks for the lead on the table mat. I've used lead mats in the past & didn't care for them. I do like the materials he is using on that one though.
Just keep in mind folks, that when you’re ascribing characteristics to a material (whether it be acrylic, PVC or aluminum), making an apples to apples comparison is difficult to do if you’re comparing platters of identical dimensions.

You won’t know if the differences your hearing relate to the mass difference or the material’s sonic characteristics.

Higher mass may a sonic effect with respect to how the bearing’s thrust interface is loaded (for better or worse, and affecting energy transmission).

More importantly, higher mass will in general, smooth out the drive system’s speed characteristics, and you "hear" the effects of speed instability in ways that are much more subtle than pitch stability, wow and flutter, etc. At it’s finest level of granularity, micro levels of speed instability are experienced as IM distortion. 

Looking at it from the other side (improving these micro-instabilities), you'll get a cleaner rendering of high frequencies, as well as more extended highs and (surprising to many) a richer harmonic presentation in note fundamentals (think bowed double bass and cello).

If you have the time, wade through the first page of Moncrief’s review of the Rockport Sirius III on IAR.  Moncrief is a strange dude, but he lays out the situation fairly clearly in this regard (albeit in a very wordy manner). At a minimum, it will cure your insomnia ;-)

Having said all of this (in the VPI universe) you’re obviously left with the decision as to whether platter "A" works better for you than platter "B". I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. Just be careful about generalizing your conclusions with respect to materials.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier Design
I have a Superscoutmaster that came with the Superplatter.   It was a revelation when I changed to the Classic platter....   The Super sounded slow, and turgid....certainly reduced highs with rolled lows..smaller sound stage, all wrong.  I thought it was wonderful at the time until I changed.  The reason for the change was that mine wasn't perfectly round, so when I upgraded to the rim drive, the out-of-roundness pushed against the rotating plate which rocked the arm.  I fixed that by using soft feet under the motor, and spikes under the turntable.  The motor went out and in, but the turntable remained solid.
Fantastic post by thom-mackris and a much more elegant and thorough way of explaining what I tried to suggest. Every effort to improve the speed stability of my turntable via the replacement of the rubber belt with string, better motor controller and even the correct (better) bearing lubricant has not only improved timing related issues, but has also (and surprisingly) improved soundstaging, stability of images, bass definition and overall purity of sound; improvements that could mistakenly be attributed to the different platter material.