Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Jwm 12-25-2017
I’m using cat 6 from my pc to the router which acts as a local network as it is not attached to the internet. Cat 6 then goes from the router to the internal M5 board of the bricasti. Which then converts and reclocks the signal via I2S to the chip. I call the router wireless because it allows me to use j river off the pc by j remote to my I pad.
OK. So then the network switch suggestion is applicable. And I see no reason why inserting it into the wired path between the router and the DAC would have any impact on what you presently do wirelessly, or on anything else other than possibly providing a sonic benefit.
Fsmithjack 12-26-2017
It’s not about cleaning the signal it’s about sending one less dirty.

it is not less dirty because it was cleaned more but a bit cleaner to start with hence has a lower noise floor. Kind of like 2 clean cars. One was dirty and washed and the other never really got dirty but both are clean.
This is a good analogy. As I said earlier, the signal that would be sent by the switch to the DAC is generated by the switch, and while it would have the same data content as the signal sent by the router, the waveform and noise characteristics of the signals sent by the two devices will differ.

BTW, the GS108 switch that was suggested comes in both "managed" and "unmanaged" versions. As Joe indicated earlier, IMO the less complex and less expensive unmanaged version would be the way to go. Also, that device provides 8 ports, and you only need two, so I would suggest the 5 port GS105 rather than the GS108. You would simply connect it and its power supply (or an upgraded power supply), and be good to go.

Regards,
-- Al

I assume both have the same specs. OK this is going to cost some money because now I have to order another regulated power supply that costs about 300.00.
Almarg - you are totally correct. I actually meant to say unmanaged switch - excellent catch your totally correct. Yes the smaller one with less ports im sure is the same. I actually was going to buy that one but when they were the same price on Amazon I just bought the bigger one.

One note for people that want to try adding a switch is to be sure to not to plug anything else not solely needed for your audio system into this switch to prevent any extra noise. Pure audio only. 

It’s funny how we learn new ideas.

Jwm is runnig a local system and IMO this has the potential to be a superior set up with the benefit of not adding any outside influences via connection to the internet. Pretty good idea I think.

I would think by running a LAN local area network this is smart and might be worth for us to try.

I now plug my internet into the switch and who knows maybe this adds some noise that could be avoided so I might try removing the internet and running a LAN to give it a look 👀 see. 

I have Version FiOs so my internet modum and wireless router are a single unit but I do have a nice modern Asus WiFi unit that might be quieter running it via pure local so food for thought here for sure. Is a WiFi only quieter than a two in one? Could be? I’ll run both the Asus WiFi and Netgear switch via linear power supplies and update you guys! Not sure when I’ll get to it though super busy and been fixing to add a turntable as well. 

Jwm - you can get a decent little regulated linear power supply for a lot cheaper than $300. I always believe in better power supplies but part of the fun of this tweak is its low cost. I have a good source for China made, good looking quality made linear power supplies with good parts used. Breeze Audio and they sound great and that are like $70.00. 

Send me an PM and I’ll shoot you my email and then I’ll send you the link for it. I’ll do the same for anyone else interested.

Netgear switch is like $20
LPS is like $70
AudioQuest Forest is like $35

I use a Breeze Audio 12v LPS now to power my W4S Remedy that I use for my cable box that is another fantastic bang for buck add. For those of you like me that enjoy running your system to listen to movies or tv it’s excellent. 1,000 times better than just plugging a coax cable from cable box to Bricasti or DirectStream.

Wireless is a terrible way to transmit bits for audio. That signal gets broadcast and competes with all the other noise on those bands: remote noise, degradation of bandwidth due to # of walls/barriers between the source and the dac/bridge, and other broadcast noises. The best way to send data is using a wired connection.
Oh well just ordered the switcher an another Sbooster regulated power supply to a total fee of 400.00. And away we go as Jackie Gleason use to say.