Differences in sound in Parasound P3 and P5

Hello.  Has anyone ever compared these two preamps, soundwise?  Any notable impressions of one over the other? Why choose one over the other?    Again, soundwise only please. 

Thanks!

shtinkydog

Hi Erik.  Im not sure if I wanna stretch that far.  Ive read plenty of good things about the P7, and if I could afford it right now, I would get it, or a nice tubed pre. I've read a lot of good stuff on the Schiit Freya too, and a lot of bad as well.  I would assume the p7 and the Freya are in two separate leagues.  Again, I assume.  If the price for a used p7 is right, I might just go it's route.

Thanks!

The Parasound P5 is a current product, but if you look internally you will see a switching power supply and rather lean circuit board.

The P3 is a discontinued product, but it has a beefy linear power supply and much more in the audio circuit.  I would choose the P3.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you soundwise.  But my experience with both linear and switching power supplies points to my recommendation of P3.  I have converted several devices from switching to linear and have had an increase in sound quality every time.