Upgrading Power Service In New Home Build

Getting ready to move on a new build which has 200 amp service vice 400 amp service that we currently have. The current house has 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits in the media room. I asked the builder to add the same amount in the new house,,but we have to wait to get approval from the electrical section, and home builder. So, thinking that a negative decision will come back, do I just need to contact the power company for a service increase, say 100 amps or so, and deal with the power company directly after the build so that I can get the service, then ask an electrician to add the dedicated circuits and wiring to new outlets in the media room? Seems like a lot of work if the builder can't accommodate me. 

Anyone have experience adding service upgrades to their new or older homes, and how did you add the extra circuits to your listening or media room? FYI, northern Virginia, dominion power will be the power service provider. Thanks in advance.

Audioquest4life
audioquest4life
An oscilloscope with the right probes and preferably a frequency analyzer would be ideal.

Sadly these are not really easy to come by. A DIY'er might build his own PC interface using the sound card to oscilloscipe software, but doing so for power sockets is dangerous if not done right.

There are of course commercial AC power quality test tools available, but even pricier.

All I can say is that the most cost effective solutions I know of are Furman units with SMP and LiFT. The commercial grade units are cheaper than the home version.

After that, the PerfectPower and PS Audio units.

Best,

Erik
Hi all, 

I just wanted to follow-up with what I did to address the power for my new listening room. First, I had the room, actually 2 rooms, completely customized for acoustics, power, and aesthetics (dual use room/home theater/stereo). The contractor added Environmental Potentials EP-2000 power wave form corrector to the subpanel. I ended up with 8 20 amp circuits. I have 5 for the stereo, and 3 for the home theater. The AV rack and 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits are in the utility room, so only stereo is in the home theater/listening room. I added some carbon outlets here and there along with Furutech GTX D rhodium outlets as well. I have a mix of PS Audio P10 for amps(MC2301), and a P5 for the stereo source equipment, and the AV/Rack is powered by a P5 while the amp (McIntosh MC8207) is powered directly by the wall outlet. 

The sound is to die for, no issues at all. In the end, we did spend more money than we had planned, but not much more. We knew this room was going to be a custom build, but add the power, carbon outlets, PS audio stuff, it sure adds up. But, we are smiling from ear to ear when listening o music, or watching movies. 

Here is a rollup of the steps we did to address the power: 

1. 8 dedicated outlets (3 for home theater / 5 for stereo)
2. Furutech GTX D Rhodium outlets w/carbon fiber outlet covers
3. PS Audio P10 for MC2301 amps
4. PS Audio P5 for analog source components
5. PS Audio P5 for AV/Rack components
6. Environmental Potential EP2000 Power Wave corrector

Just wanted to let you all know we were able to work through the reduced amperage and have excellent results. 

@audioquest4life 

What did you use for a breaker/fuse for your lines?

Came across your posts while doing a search for the AHP Klangmodul IIIG as I’m curious about improving the breaker element of my lines. 

Do you still use them or what’s your solution in that regards?

Also, what was the experience installing them like? From what I’ve searched, I think you’re the only guy who has tried them in the states.

Thanks!