Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
I have the Brooklyn, and it is my favorite < $5k DAC so far.

The only glitches I have found is that, rarely, switching to 96/24 from 44/16 it doesn't do that right, but this may be due to my streaming software. You will hear it start to distort, and get very sibilant.

Lastly, play with the digital filters. I have disabled MQA so I could choose other digital filters I like better. You should listen too.

E
Hey,

Thanks, but I was asking specifically about the Brooklyn DAC+ which is the updated one released in October.

I will definitely try the filter choices.

Take it EZ,
Robert
Has anyone directly compared the Mytek Brooklyn and Benchmark DAC3?  I'd be very interested in how they compare sonically as DACs, as well as their use as preamps.
Hello,

Based on the lack of responses to my query,  nobody here apparently has the new version.  Reviews of both lead me to believe the DAC3 is a bit better than the original Brooklyn.  Of course many of us actually want MQA and the Benchmarks do not do MQA. 

My expectation is that the new Brooklyn DAC+ will equal or better the DAC3 in non MQA quality.  They did quite a bit of work on the new model.

Y'all have some fun,
Robert
@robob

I think it is safe to say you will be happy with either DAC. The Benchmark DAC 3 is glitch free on switching formats and syncs within 6 msec which is practically instantaneous.

Advantages of DAC3 will be for intersample overs which exist on the majority of pop rock redbook CD or files. Benchmark designed extra circuitry to handle this problem and remains the ONLY DAC to address this problem in nearly all pop rock digital music. I think this explains why it sounds so smooth like vinyl yet with more detail.

The problem is widespread and even affects audiphile quality CD like Steely Dan Gaslighting Abbie with hundreds of overs. All other DACs will clip (square wave at digital saturation)and distort hundreds of times on every track you play.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings