Audio cables ,and power cords the most forgotton- part of an Audio system.

I have been in Audio for over 35 years and owned and operated a  Audio store as well as buy just from the A list ,which does not guarantee system synergy.
I have tried   inexpensive cables like blue jeans  that is fine for a entry level system. 
If you have electronics $5k and up and 5 figure Loudspeakers then to get ultimate resolution 
You have to spend some money's on cables.my last cables 2pr interconnects  and a pr of 6ft Speaker cables 
I had, Silnotes, Analysis plus  even more expensive Synergistic research.  Decent but not the realism I was after.
To get to that last5-  10% + in fine detail and resolution you have to spend. I was stubborn but really 25% for example.Of your total cost is not that much. When you see just how much refinement and fidelity 
You may be missing .My brother brought over his Verastarr power cord over to try on my digital 
Which is most sensitive,  I had a $600 Kimber power cord, his grand illusion cord made the music so much more real,there are other very good cables but these are one of the best I have ever heard without breaking the bank. . Is that worth over $1k ?  I did the same with interconnects and speaker cables 
I spent $6k  and still have s few power cords to go. One thing my system as a whole is a minimum of 10% better. And  a you are there on any decent recording.   Fine tuning with Duelund capacitors
Bypass and coupling caps are next and final step in tweaking the system and a bit over priced. and these may be equal to or better  in added tonal balance and depth. 
This just proves having the best speakers or electronics is only half the battle.
You are only as strong as your weakest link .
128x128audioman58
+1 grannyring.

I pretty much agree with grannyring. I know some people aren't into DIY, therefore they want to purchase and pay more money for a finished pair of cables, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Shortly I'll be testing a new product (bananas) on the ends of my New Duelund wire (fully broken in) to listen for improvement vs no connectors.
Crimp connectors like the Furutech 24k Gold over Phosphor bronze is night and day better then solder ,lead is not too good 
of a conductor. My speakers  have Goldplated Copper Mundorf screw terminal Xover board. If you use bare Copper buy the Stabilant-22  it not only enhances the conductivity,but prevents 
oxidation for  a minimum of over 12 years if not disturbed.
go to the Stabilant site. if NASA uses it it is superior.
I completely disagree and I'm actually you feel this way being in the hobby over 35 years. I don't disagree that more expensive cables CAN sound better than cheaper ones but there is no line in the sand that means the higher the price, the better the sound. 
I think we have all changed wiring in out systems over the years, I have replaced some with more expensive cables and other with much cheaper cables....it's all about synergy not price. 
I'd bet the bank that if you did a blind test of let's say 5 cables you would not rank them in order of price. 
Ive also had components where cabling made a very big difference, others were barely noticble, if at all. 
Hello You are correct in part . I have had several cables from other Audiophiles brought over and  my current cable was superior in musicality . My system  has so much better components then most $$ 
megabuck units . I owned a  Audiostore in Europe and found out long ago 
most of your name brands give average parts quality and a pretty face .
inside the capacitors are most certainly lacking even more so with most Loudspeakers for example ,wiring,resistors I have 0 crystal copper wired throughout my system 
the Verastarr speaker cable even built the wire harness for my open baffle speakers. I just spent $500 just to flavor my speakers a bit more and it was not 
Duelund way over priced and many feel that  my combinations just bring more realism  or flavor to the table. I have well over 10,000 hours just in voicing capacitors
sometimes Audio is way too compulsive . I have spent days  trying to find fault then just listen . I  have saved $1000s in what a reference big name company would charge with as good or better results just implementing the correct 
boutique parts, p.s I have had people say all capacitors sound similar .
or a power cord should all sound similar .many engineers have Tin ears I have found out. Some capacitors take weeks to fully settle in an engineer says 24 hours .
a perfect example a Vacuum Tube does not measure that great 
compared to a solid state devise . But can sound dam good .everything has 
a value somewhere. Happy Listening.😎🎶
To Audioman58 and all others ,

You had the opportunity to experience different interconnects , speaker and power cords , something that few are able to afford the experience .
While I started out with Monster cables close to 40 years ago ,
it took 30 years before I started moving up ,
first to Blue Jeans , then to Cardas Quadlink and am now using
Cardas Neutral Reference ICs and speaker with Golden Reference PCs.
Luckily the Synergy in my system works , are their better or more compatible ? maybe but for me my next upgrade will be moving up to Golden Reference since I have a good thing that works.
I feel that that is the problem most people have when changing the 
ICs , PCs and /or speaker cables is the SYNERGY .
The used market is where I have purchased my " expensive " cables.
Is there an answer ? I say pick your manufacture and look for used ones,
or try The Cable Company that allows in home trials as do some local audio shops. or try making your own .
I agree with you that you have to spend some money to get the
good, better and best results once you find the Synergy that
works in your system.
Good Luck