looking for a nice small home theatre set up

i currently have ageing Linn home stereo(pretek set up) and now i would like to enjoy a home theatre set up with the same audio quality that i have been used to...
can anyone here recomend me such a set up......maybe it could be a ALL IN ONE componant or just a DVD player and AMP...
i am looking for MINIMUM features if possible and nice body and detail in the audio...
i would like to keep things less cluttered the older i get.
cheers
joolz
joolzriff
Linn unidisk SC CD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A player and 5.1 pre-amp in one box. Add a 5-channel amp and you're done.

I have one and am very impressed with it.
DVD and Amp combo wont be enough, you will need a processor for level matching and bass management, (if you are wanting 5.1)...I doubt any HT in a box will get you even close to what you want, tho I have always thought a movie can be very entertaining on a modest well thought out system, 2 channel not so easy.
If you like Linn, it sounds like the Classik Movie is what you may be looking for. One box with a CD/DVD player, pre/pro and 5.1 channels of power amplification, and a tuner to boot. You should be able to find one on Audiogon in the $2500-$3000 price range. What you don't get is SACD or DVD-A, HDMI, processing for 6.1 or 7.1 surround, or upgradeability to Aktiv however. Musically, you won't be missing anything if you're running a 15 year old Pre-tek/Power-tek combo. It's as good as you'll get for a one box solution.

The next step up would be what Jim is suggesting above. A Unidisk SC and 5125 power amp would run you about $5500 on Audiogon.
joolz,

Give us a bit more information. Do you want a multichannel (5.1, 6.1, 7.1) surround sound HT system or are you looking for a simple 2-channel rig that will provide the audio quality to which you are accustomed, plus the ability to watch/listen to DVDs?

Also, what is your budget? What components, if any, do you plan to reuse in the new system?

TIC