Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
If that current impression holds up,  for me it would be Davinci 2 stays  and I'd wave bye to the Boulder.😊
Charles 
Matt, we can talk off board tomorrow about this, but in reading I also thought about how else I personally look at things.  I also look at the companies and will they be around to support said product in 7 years when it needs help.  Not sure about Light Harmonics.  Boulder most probably.  This may mean nothing to you and many others, but you know how I am about this Matt as we've spoke a ton off the board about my feelings.  Steve is the only company I've deal with that is smaller if you would and he stood behind his DAC 100% when it needed some help.

I am not saying this to dissuade you are anyone as we need all companies to push everyone.  Just something that I personally do think about.  That's only if things are 'THAT' close ;)

Matt,

i'd find a bunch of piano recordings and listen to them, then a bunch of vocals and massed strings or massed voices. these are where digital has a bit of trouble in sorting out detail in the massed strings and voices and the sustain and continuousness of the piano.

it's where the MSB Select II separates itself from others.

not sure it will work that way for the DaVinci and Boulder, but it might. it's the ease of getting that analog rendering of the whole note.

ideally in the system where you have a turntable or tape deck as a reference with the same recording. but even without those piano is the torture test.

Sorting out the subtle details of  massed strings, voices and continousness of piano are qualities that some listeners say the Lampizator Pacific does in a very natural manner.
Charles