Need help selecting a system with Tidal streaming (Maybe MQA) and speakers for around $1k.

A’goners,

Need some help getting this temp system purchased. In about 2 weeks will be moving to a small home in SoCal, then in 6 months back to Pacific NW apartment most likely for 5 months. My room sizes will be small to medium, 10x12-14ft. This will be my system for these two moves then possibly relegated to a bedroom/listed on this site once I get to a permanent location.

My main goal is to limit my expenditure (as I will need to upgrade my old system once I have a permanent place) and spend around $1k for this system. I’m new to digital but streaming seems the way to go so I don’t have to drag around CDs or LPs and I don’t have any high rate digital files, nor do I plan on purchasing many during my traversing the West Coast. I plan on streaming Tidal and was hoping MQA if that fits in the budget and the system is able to perform well enough to discern the MQA difference. I know I could use a computer as a source for this but don’t currently own one and there goes the budget if I purchase a new laptop.

I understand the $1k can be quite limiting and could stretch it a bit but would really like to stay in that ballpark. I started looking at powered speakers, Vanatoo One, Paradigm Shift A2, Audioengine A2+, A5+, HD6 and passives like HDP6, Elac B6, QAcousics 3020, Kef Q150, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Warfedale Diamond 220 and Focal Aria 905 all because of size, price and recommendation. I haven’t listened to any of these except the Elacs. Not having the time now to listen to some/all these I am asking for some experienced, sage advice on the speakers and whole system direction. I am aware that stand mounted/bookshelf speakers will be a sacrifice in the deep bass( not a bass head anyway) but would like to have some accuracy and a good wide soundstage if possible.

That brings me to the source and I understand it’s based on if I go the powered vs passive speaker route. I’m not sure if it’s possible to go the passive speaker route and still get Tidal streaming and integrated amp for the budget stated. This is where I get stuck, so please respond with your ideas even if it’s to say it can’t be done for the budget I have.

BTW, I listen to mostly rock, jazz, blues, and classical in that order if that helps. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks greatly for your input. Please let me know if this is in the wrong category, since it was about speakers and source wasn’t sure where to post.

revreed
-100 for the SONOS, complete junk! I thought this was a high end forum?

Matt M
It is not complete junk. It is a bit on the expensive side for what it is, but it is stylish and convenient, and tests have shown that within its limitations it performs rather well. As for high end, well here is somebody asking a very sensible question about a budget system that ultimately may end up in a bedroom. So what would you recommend for a streaming based 1K system?
@willemj  Thanks for the link on MQA. I completely agree with your last comment on why not MQA if it also does everything else non-MQA component will do. 
@glennewedick I just spotted a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 but have never heard them. Have you compared them against any other monitors? The Miesaudio looks affordable at $399!
@mesch You have any suggestions MQA/non-MQA streamer for the budget?
@2psyop Thanks for that link!

So looks like I have the following suggestion/by inference equipment:

Speakers: Elac B6, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Wharfedale Diamond 9.0’s., Audioengine HD6, Kef Q150, Cambridge Audio Aero 2,..powered speaker(no brand specified)

Dac/streamer: Bluesound Node2, Behringer UCA 202, OPPO Sonica, Outlawaudio RR2160 receiver /DAC, ChromeCast Audio, Auralic mini, 

Amps/receiver: Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Mies, Vincent Audio's SV-500, Sprout, Sonos Connect

Ignoring the possible subsequent bedroom use I would suggest to try to spend as little as possible on electronics (let alone cables) and devote as much as possible to the speakers because they are what produces the difference in sound quality.
The Chromecast Audio is the cheapest and most versatile streaming option and the analogue output is more than good enough for a system at this level. The Sony receiver that I mentioned is similarly good enough at this level, and a real bargain. There are similar amplifiers from the other major Japanese brands and these represent the best value for money. Speakers are a matter of taste - none will be perfect. Here, the US market is quite different from Europe with different brands and different relative prices, so it is hard for me to make a specific recommendation. Over here, I would have said the Wharfedale Diamond series is always very good value for speakers that have few weaknesses. I particularly like the Wharfedale 220, but there may be good alternatives in the US, I don’t know. A few years ago I bought some Tannoy DC6 standmounts for my daughter, and they sounded even beter (at a higher price). But it is a volatile market.
If you audiotion, make sure to listen at equalized level: the human brain will interpret the loudest speaker as the best speaker.
Another very simple and compact option would be the recently discontinued Quad 9AS active speakers. If you can still find a pair at a discount price, they would be worth it. They have three digital inputs, so if you add a Chromecast Audio via its optical digital output you are all set for maybe half your planned budget. Use the coax input for your tv and you will also have far better tv sound. See here, e.g.: https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/quad-9as-active-desktop-speakers
I know there are many options for a streamer, however I use my Macbook for streaming, which I don't do much of and therefore can't offer much advice. If looking for one I would likely look towards the Bluesound Node 2. It has it's own DAC and seems to be highly regarded. Cost is $500.

Stereophile has a review of the Outlaw RR2160 in the latest issue. I have not read it yet, just received. 

It seems to me that you must first decide between amplification and speakers vs. powered speakers.  Them focus on the source. 
A system is simpler with powered speakers, however provides less flexibility than separate amp. Though I recall suggesting powered speakers, after further thought, placing myself in your shoes, I think I would purchase a used integrated amplifier and speakers. Then search for a streamer with internal DAC. This gives the greatest flexibility in placement of system into rooms you don't yet live in, and best accommodates use of the components in a secondary system down the road. 

Good luck in your search.