Most transparent power amp

Hi there,
i would love to hear what brand that you have experienced with transparent of sounding? The kind of transparent is similiar to solid state amp like Cello, Spectral, tube amp I would think is Counterpoint SA4.

128x128lawence_carpio
awence_carpio
Wilson Audio Sasha break-in time ?
I take it from this speaker thread you started, you have the Sasha’s, then my last statement in the 3rd paragraph,
" and one that is able to drive your speakers without becoming a tone control." should be well considered.

BTW OTL’s and most tubes, even mosfets have no chance driving the Sasha’s without becoming a tone control, you need current at low impedance for these speakers for the amp to stay flat (transparent) across the frequency range.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/710Wilfig1.jpg

Stereophile: " Sasha's plot of impedance magnitude and electrical phase (fig.1) reveals the speaker to be a demanding load for the partnering amplifier to drive. Not only does the impedance drop below 4 ohms for most of the lower midrange and upper bass, with a minimum value of 2 ohms at 86Hz, but there is also an amplifier-unfriendly combination of 3 ohms and –43° phase angle at 61Hz."

Cheers George
^^ FWIW we've had good luck with Sashas running our MA-1s. I think it might be helped by a set of ZEROs (www.zeroimpedance.com) but the amp didn't sound like there were any problems making bass despite the Sasha's rather low impedance in the bass region.

I can't speak for other OTLs out there. But since we don't run any feedback, it seems that our amp should have been a problem on that speaker. This leads me to believe that Wilson may have used a tube amp during the design phase of this speaker.
Hey Ralph. Here's my chance to zero in now that you've chimed in. My experience has been that there's no free lunch. What is the compromise in implementing the ZEROs? It seems you would lose extension one way or another, no?
What is the compromise in implementing the ZEROs

Easy, you can hear/do this for yourself. On any amp that has no problem driving whatever speaker without the Zero’s. Then put the Zero’s in and you will then hear the compromises they make.
But they do allow amps that are not driving the speaker well, to be able to do so, but I’d rather change the amp for the right one for those speakers, as these Zero’s are not cheap, for what to me is a band-aid fix.

Cheers George
Hey Ralph. Here's my chance to zero in now that you've chimed in. My experience has been that there's no free lunch. What is the compromise in implementing the ZEROs? It seems you would lose extension one way or another, no?
Because the ZERO does not have to block DC, and also because you need an amplifier that already has a low output impedance, the result is a very low turns ratio with low distributed capacitance. Translated that means it has a very wide bandwidth- wider than our amps (which is quite a bit different from the usual output transformer which is often the limiting factor in tube amplifier frequency response); about 2Hz to 2MHz!!

So, 'no', you don't loose any bandwidth at all. What you loose is a bit of voltage gain as the transformer steps down the voltage.

How it seems to work is if the ZERO creates sonic compromise, you probably don't need it.

I have never seen it as a band-aid as George puts it; prior to the ZERO we actually made a similar product called the Z-Music autoformer, which did pretty much the same thing (ours also allowed for one ohm operation, allowing Steven Stone in a TAS review 25 years ago to have a set of our MA-1s drive a set of Apogee Full Range loudspeakers with very convincing results to my ears).

The simple fact is that four ohms is not good for **any** amplifier made regardless of the technology, and this is easy to see in the amplifier's specifications. Distortion is always higher, and the distortion is of a type that is easily heard as brightness and hardness. This is why Steve McCormick sent a letter to Paul Speltz (who makes the ZERO) stating that his amps sound better driving 4 ohms through the ZERO rather than directly. The amp has lower distortion and you can hear it right away.

That's not a band-aid so much as its a fix for a problem; the problem being speakers that cause amps to make increased audible distortion.

This being high end audio and all, distortion **bad**, music **good**!