What was the first system you heard that made you think the high end made sense

I am sure I cannot be the only person here who can recall the day, and indeed the very system that made them think 'oooohhhhh yesssss - I get it - I understand - and I absolutely love it!'

In my case I attended a HiFi Show in Heathrow at the Renaissance Hotel. It was the GT Audio room hosted by Graham Tricker. The parts comprised:

DPS turntable- Schroeder arm - jan allaerts cartridge
Tron Pre-amp
Avante Garde Uno's

In all honesty I still remember the day now. It was so musical and had the ability to connect me to the music. When I went for a full demo at Grahams home I came to understand the magic of horns, valves and imaging. 

lohanimal
Yes, Sound Systems. Nice people.

Damn near bought the T-IV's, then T-IVa's. Each time was side-tracked with something else - mostly losing investments. Now it's different - I don't invest in anything but immediate gratification. Hence DIY. And Quads, of course.

Oracle Delphi Mk1-Rega rb600-VDH mc10

Cary Slp 94 (slightly moded with AudioNote copper caps)

Cary SLM 100

ProAc Response 2.5

Siltech Wire.

this system was so musical and inviting I fell I love with music all over again. and i'm assuming thats why we do this in the first place. 

Of course you just want more so the quest begins.

Actually hearing SET amps was the 2nd time high end made sense.

The 1st time was when I wandered into Chestnut Hill Audio in Old City, Philadelphia and heard little concrete speakers, Rauna Tyrs thru a 70 wpc B&K ST140 amp. Eye opening! Way better than the Pyramid Met 7’s that I had listened to for a long time in other stores and always coveted
Houston, 1982, Audio Concepts.
 Linn LP-12, Mark Levinson, Magnepans.
Unbelievably wonderful sound.

Tom
Actually when I put together my first seperates, all adcom, amps, cd, processr and Polk srs sda 3.1TL. 1984 man I was in heaven. Since then I've come a long way and invested way too much in trial and error. Only remaining pieces are the Polk in my HT system and 1 adcom 555II as spare, just in case.