TriPlanar tonearm outward skating issue

Hi all,

I have been trying to research a solution to a recent issue with my TriPlanar VII UII tonearm that I bought  a couple years back.

The tonearm seems to want to skate outwards, even with zero anti skate applied and the weight removed from the little anti skate arm. It is evident at various settings of VTF, VTA, etc. The platter is very level and everything seems to be aligned OK. This outward skating force is very light in the outer grooves and becomes stronger as the cartridge gets closer to the end of a side. In fact, as it traces the lead-out grooves at the end of a side, the tonearm sometimes thrusts outwards across those grooves back into the last track. Very scary!

A visual check of the cantilever azimuth seems to confirm an outward pressure from the tonearm since the cantilever is leaning with the stylus end closer to the spindle.

I can’t seem to find any information online about this phenomenon.

Any insights and recommendations would appreciated.
shayes002
rauliruegas
Triplanat has a history and the other thread has more " data " and there are other " data " for years. Problem is that is unknow information for you, you just has no Triplanar experiences.

Again Raul, you speculate, and then pronounce your conclusion. And once again, your data is wrong - actually, you have no data in this instance and are just guessing.  Your conclusion is wrong, too.

Because you have such a passion for audio, I urge you to study logic and statistics. It will help you make better choices and offer more meaningful advice to others.
Btw, the OP on this thread does not posted yet he solved the trouble.
@rauliruegas , actually, yes he did. The solution I conveyed from Triplanar was in fact the correct solution and solved the problem. Please read the responses to any thread you are on more carefully before posting.

for whatever reasons we have just here 3 tonearms with same trouble. I don’t care about Triplanar tonearm per sé because I’m not an owner of it, I just read 3 problems here with a 4K+ tonearm design.
Its a pretty good guess that the three arms all got the same treatment!

The Triplanar is a precision device and like any precision device, should be treated with care.

The arm uses continuous wire from the cartridge pins all the way to the connectors on the end of the tonearm cable which is integrated. This is done to minimize mechanical connections. If someone pulls on it too hard they can tighten the wire where it passes through the gimbals but as the original poster found out, its easy to fix in a couple of seconds.

On Raul's behalf, I'll interject that I am not the OP, just someone who chimed in. Ralph, while your solution did help me, the OP has yet to say whether it helped him. So Raul is correct when he says:
Btw, the OP on this thread does not posted yet he solved the trouble.
Just being fair.
Staying out of this mud-wrestling match, but I want to point you to an annotated photo I made to work someone through a wire dressing problem with his Tri-Planar.

The owner had purchased his tonearm used and the previous owner had obviously mishandled the tonearm.

Here’s the photo: http://galibierdesign.com/images/galibier_forum/triplanar_wire_routing_annotated.jpg

Ralph is absolutely correct (quoted comment, below), and the above photo shows what a correctly dressed cable should look like.

I would contact Triplanar; but I’ve talked to Triplanar about this and he says that this problem can occur if the interconnect cable is pulled too hard. It causes the cable to not have enough slack going through the gimbals.

Its also easy to fix- just extract some of the wires from the cable where the clamp is mounted at the base of the arm so as to give the wires a bit more slack.

... Thom @ Galibier Design