Basis Turntables: Worth it or Ripoff?

Are the Basis turntables and arms (ie, Vector 4) worth their asking price? They seems very expensive for you apparently are getting?
madavid0
Actually, the used prices for Basis tables seems amazingly low.  
Yes, 5k for a Vector 4 arm is a lot of money, but that seems to be what the traffic will bear for most good arms.  
Most of Basis' models don't look quite as elegant as comparably priced models of some of their competitors.  Basis hardly puts any money into visual aesthetics.  Given that a lot of buyers DO place a lot of value in looks, I can see how Basis loses some "value" points in that department.  Basis excels in other ways.  The build quality is superb and all parts are precisely made to very tight tolerances.  You will not see any wobble at all in the rotation of their platters, for example, something that cannot be said of all tables (if you look really closely).  

Whether or not one will like the sound of their arm/table combinations is also a matter of taste.  Their tables are very much into damping vibration, both external vibration or vibration generated by the table itself or vibration from the stylus tracking a record.  Some systems (and their owner's taste) favor such highly damped tables, some prefer a more lively sound (to detractors, Basis tables sound "dark" or "dead").  

Hence, Basis tables are certainly not a "ripoff," but like any other table, they can be the wrong table for any particular individual.
Don't judge a component until you actually hear it, if possible.  The most ordinary looking components just may be the one to deliver the best sound to your ears.
Not only do I agree completely with James, but I would add that lots of dollars are spent on bling, only, adding nothing to performance.  If that's what one wants, it's perfectly ok, but being aware of this factor is a good idea.