Harbeth C7ES vs Maggie 1.6 QR

Does anyone have experience with these (very different) speakers?

I own a Plinius 8200 MII integrated and was told the Harbeths sound magical with it.

My Maggies are great but I am looking for a more dynamic sound with better midrange tone.

I expect the Maggies to beat the Harbeths in the bass, is this correct?

I use all AZ wire.

any comments are appreciated.

Phil
128x128philjolet
My local retailer has the Harbeth sitting right next to the Maggies, literally linked to the same system. (BAT 300x, Primare 30.1CD, Nordost RedDawn) I can tell you that the Harbeth are as close as any box speaker I've come across at retaining most of the virtues of the 1.6 while adding some of their own. The highs are nearly as detailed and open with the Harbeth. But the mids are so very inviting. The Bass is simply a compenent of Amp control. In this comparison, dont even bother with the maggies unless you have at least 150W of high current.
But the kicker is this, BOTH speakers are very critical of the room they are in. If it were me, I'd take the Harbeth simply because it is easier to deal with according to size and power. The things it lacks compared to the Maggies are minimal.
thanks prdprez, for a very helpful response, especially the part about the Harbeths having the 'inviting' midrange.

I am surprised you say the Harbeth is about the same as the Maggie in the high end as far as being open and detailed. I expected the Harbeths to have more 'air' and better detail in the midrange too.

I know what I am doing as far as getting away from the planar design. If the Harbeths are even in the ballpark as far as retaining most of the virtues of the Maggies I think I would be happy.

thanks again

Phil
Dear Phil,
What an interesting post! I had the same issue happen recently. I 'LOVED' my Magneplanar 1.6qr's but thought something was missing. I sold them thinking I would by some dynamic, box speakers. I wound up with a pair of Audio Physic Tempo's which were quite nice. But something was missing. Certain instruments in favorite recordings were not presenting themselves well, and I could tell the system was "a system", and it just didn't do it like the Magneplanars.

I sold the box speakers and went back to the Magneplanars, at a LO$$. I like the Maggie sound best and it works for me! Save your hard earned money or upgrade somewhere else.

hope this helps.
A suggestion...Don't divorce your Maggies. Just have an affair with some box speakers. Then you can always come home!
Hififile,

Thanks for a thoughtful response, I know the Maggies are a well rounded speaker and maybe I will learn the hard way. I do like the way the Maggies do not get in the way of the music. I just do not think of them much just whatever is playing, it just always sounds like it is in the next room or somehow lifeless.

Eldartford,

Not a bad idea. Maybe after years with planar speakers, from Quad ESL 57s to my 1.6s, I want more dynamics and just want to experience something different.