Why do turntables sound different?

Let's consider higher-end tables that all sound excellent. Same arm/cartridge and the rest of the chain. Turntable is a seemingly simple device but apparently not quite or not at all.
What do members of the 'scientific community' think?
inna
This is a bit of an Oxford Entrance Exam question, but IMHO and in short:

1. Drive mechanism - affects timing fundamentally - the amount of vibration transferred into the playback and indeed the type/cycle of vibration;
2. Platter - channeling of resonances from the record - also relevant to speed stability and is fundamentally linked to drive mechanism
3. Plinth/suspension - again vibrations both from the record, platter, bearing, and room born
4. the arm - energy transference from cartridge; cartridge match; resonance control

It is arguable that almost everything has an affect on the performance between decks. Just compare the various Linn Sondeks which have seen generations of change - new top deck; bearing; motor, and power supplies. For instance some arms are too heavy for the suspension on the LP12.

What is more interesting is when you have two totally different decks that sound almost the same - but I guess that brings around another whole new topic of discussion ;)

I have pondered whether or not all decks should all aspire to have the same sound, but I think being neutral and altogether accurate is an impossible ideal - why you ask? Well a full rock band, let alone an orchestra can fit in the average persons living room - so how can we expect all-together accurate replay of that very thing?
@lewm,

"lubrication is made more effective as well on a smaller tighter tolerance contact also,"

I agree. Just take a look at the newer automobiles with tighter cylinder/piston tolerances that use thinner viscosity oils...
"lubrication is made more effective as well on a smaller tighter tolerance contact also"

^^^ actually, I think I said that , in response to lewm on the first page...

and the tighter tolerances in engines and lighter oils is actually one of the many reasons I feel strongly on this point and why better bearings are both lower in friction and self noise..... These new engines run so smooth now its almost mandatory to have an exhaust specifically built to add a "note" so it sounds masculine...........
I think, most manufacturers have no idea what they are doing and why?
They buy some parts, think they are good because they get praise from people who also have no idea from anything (revievers/customers) ....and the story will go on and on ...
Problem is always those who buy things. If it's not good enough - don't buy it. It's not water or food, you know.
But, some manufacturers are very good, so it's not all bad.