Vandersteen 2C contour controls +-

So I have recently changed cables between my pre amp (ARC SP4) and amp (ARC VT60) and it made a significant difference: more detail and a better centered soundstage. But I lost quite a bit of punch in the low end. I like the effect of the new cables enough to keep them in.

If I want to use the Vandersteen contour controls to get some of the low end back do I dial it down... or up?

I’m assuming turning the bass contour down will lower the crossover point, effectively getting more from the low end.

Is this correct?

128x128oharchie
Thanks all. I do have these placed in the sweet spot and used the Vandersteen manual to get there. They are off the back wall about 23" and are equal side to side. With my old interconnects it sang. With the new interconnects I get more highs and sparkle in the center which is what I want. I just lost the low end somewhat. I can still hear it, it just doesn't have the bass impact I previously had.

I'm purposefully avoiding mentioning the interconnect brands involved because I don't want to get into a cable choice discussion. Both are premium brands and both perform well in this system, just somewhat differently.

So this might be a placement issue now that the interconnects have changed? 

I'm still unclear however - does lowering the bass contour (-db) push more signal to the rear facing coupled driver? Or does going +db on the contour add more to the low drivers? Or if the bass is not there it's just not going to be there regardless of the contour settings?

I can play around and listen but I'm more interested in the theory of how the contours are supposed to work.
The contour controls on the back of my 2Cs are for cut/boost of mid and treble only. No affect on the bass as far as I can tell. 
The only thing that restored bass in my situation was positioning the speakers differently.

Tom
Gotcha. Ok that makes sense now. I am going to try adjusting placement rather than expect an effective solution by just using the contour controls.

Thanks a bunch!
+1 for Tomcarr.
The dials do not affect lower frequencies.
As another poster mentioned, let the cables break in. You'd be surprised how much they might change.
Bob