Review: NAD 3120 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

I guess we could call this my week end story. I had forgotton all about this little gem from NAD. While cleaning out some closets came across this. To say it was dirty is a major understatement. Started to throw away figuring it just wasn't worth the effort. So finished the so called spring cleaning. With some time left over decided to at least take a further look. Removed the top cover and discovered enough dirt and lint to fill a dirt devil vacumn. Oh well, what the hell,have the cover off. Shook out as much dirt as I could. Then use compressed air to get rid of the remainder of the dirt. After about 4 hours worth of work had the NAD looking like new. Cleaned the volume pot and switches as well as the switches and RCAs on the rear apron.

Now to the litmus test,would it still work? Well I needed some speakers to test,so pulled out the DCM Time Windows. Now needed a source had a Sony CD Player that wasn't being used. So connected everything and turned on the NAD power switch. Placed a Disc in the CD player and the little NAD 3120 came to life and played music with astonshing depth and clarity.

Have to admit i was totally surprised by the sonics of this NAD 3120. While only 25 watts rms per channel played much louder and with more authority than I remembered.

The NAD 3120 is on the same chassis as the venerable 3020, but sans the tone controls,balance control,and LEDs. This is more of a purist version of the 3020, with less noise and blacker background. The NAD 3120 has provision for a turntable and can accept MM or MC phono cartridges. As well the amp and pre amp section can be separated by u shaped jumpers. Which means later on you can add a more powerful amplifier in the future. Has NADs soft clipping feature means if overdriven the waveform voltage so that the output devices are never driven into hard clipping.Thus the amplifier can safely be over driven beyond its rated power without harm to the speakers. There is also a switch on the back to set ohm loading at 8 or 4 ohms depending on which speakers you use. Uses 4 RCA high current out put transistors, that are usually associated with most manufacturers 50 or 60 watt amps. Has built in infrasonic and ultrasonic filters so amplifier power is not wasted on outside sources such as turntable rumble,floor vibrations, etc.

The front panel from left to right is power switch with LED,then buttons,for Aux,Tuner,Phone,Tape,Mono,Loudness and dual concentric volume controls for volume and balance. The loudness control is not the usually boost found on the competition models. The loudness on the NAD 3120 is gently contoured to add just enough compensation to be truly useful.

Here is an entry level integrated amp that delivers the promise of high end. With what I have assembled with the Time Windows and Sony CD Player. One could have one killer $500.00 vintage high end system.And that speaks volumes about the components used in this review.

Have redisovered a true gem that is very easy to live with and the sonics are very good indeed.

The NAD 3120 is a true giant killer among integrated amps, do not let the 25 Watts RMS per channel,keep you from trying one of these,should you be able to find one. I can say without question they are truly durable, do to the condition I found this one in. These were produced from 1984 to 1987 and were hard to find. Most folks were put off by the austere looks. But if you are really into music and are on a limited budget, here is the answer.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
Kenwood,Yamaha,Proton,Denon,etc

ferrari
A few years ago I took a 3120 and rebuilt it with all state of the art parts. Probably spent over $500.00 in parts alone. The result was spectacular. However with that being said the outright magic of the 3120 had been lost. Sure the highly modded version corrected the shortcomings of the 3120 and would easily compete with any integrated up to the $2,500.00 price range. But the factory stock unit was not that far off the pace.

I eventually sold the modded unit to a friend of mine and he still has it as an everyday listening unit. Still have the original 3120 and every so often pull it out and give it a spin for a few weeks. Here it is some 30 years later and I still enjoy listening to it. Not many hallmark products that cost so damn little in the beginning, can continue to deliver the promise. Little wonder 3120/3020 have such a loyal following since day one of their existence.
Yeah, my 7225PE (same amp w/tuner) still sounds so good it's scary, and mine stayed powered up for almost 10 years straight w/zero issues and still keeps going. This particular circuit just sounds "right" to my ears.
Well, 9 years after my previous post, I'm listening to my 3120 again.
Got it back last year from my friend, and enjoying it so much I thought it was time to comment again. Anyone else still have one in service?
After about 33 years this thing still works perfectly, is very quiet and sounds better than I ever anticipated it would. The most surprising aspect is how powerful it sounds with a variety of different speakers.
The only problem I have ever had with it was my own doing. I inadvertently pulled speaker cables and broke the binding posts on one side. I have replaced them all with pairs of gold posts myself. This is a repair or upgrade anyone could do. The proof is the fact that I accomplished the replacement- if I can do it literally anyone can.
Right now I am listening to my 3120 powering a pair of Totem Rainmakers. This seems to be an unlikely love affair. The NAD really brings the Totems to life in a way that 25wpc should never be able to.
Yup, reliable is an understatement, and still delivering great enjoyment after all these years! This is a special amp.
Well here i arrive at a thread started 17 years ago ... as i too am on the verge of getting my first NAD and its a 3120 ... i was concerned that it might not be up to the job at its age ...this thread and all who have contributed are much appreciated .. its going to drive a pair of Infinity Quantum Jrs ... and thoughts appreciated ...
Chiming in: I still have mine from 1983? And it still works! I came from its big brother, the 3045.
Used it about a year ago connected to several different power amps to break-in a pair of Polk outdoors speakers. Now I have dedicated shop space complete w/shelving just for that purpose. 

Right now I’m using a previous-gen entry level Sony AVR I PU for $20 at an estate sale to break in another pair of the above speakers. However this thread reminded me:
it’s past time to resurrect the “mighty, immortal” NAD 3020. 

The system’s current sound is hard, bright & the lower mid-bass seems a tad fat w/out extension. I hope it’s corrects both but I’ll settle for taking the edge off the top. 

After I get out from under, at the top the list is upgrading those lousy speaker connections to binding posts. I hope it’s as easy as blkadr says it is. 

Thanks for reading this far. Tony