Amplification question - PrimaLuna Tubes vs. McIntosh Solid State

Hello all,

First post here, was looking for a little help on my new system set-up.

My sources for music will be fully digital using Roon to manage those assets. I have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II network card which will also be acting as the preamp. Speakers are Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 studio monitors with a REL Storm subwoofer.

I have never owned a tube system. My previous system was also a fully digital source music set-up (CDs) with Martin-Logan reQuest speakers, REL subwoofer, and Classe CA-300 amp. I have had to downsize those components due to physical space restrictions.

I honed down my purchase choices to either a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP tube amplifier, or a McIntosh MC152 solid state amplifier. These are the only two models I am willing to consider at this time to keep things focused on this discussion thread. Links are:

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-hp-power-amplifier

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=amplifiers&ProductId=MC1...

This system will be going into my office, and will be run pretty much 8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. As far as the type of material I listen to, it is a very eclectic mix of rock, classical, jazz, pop, etc. Very often I get to crank the system up to seriously fun levels when I am doing graphic design, Photoshop, and other creative tasks.

I would love some feedback from the community here on which choice, tube or amp, they would put into this system. Also, what kind of service life and realistic maintenance would be required with the PrimaLuna tubes being my first tube component if I go in that direction.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Sam

128x128samster777
Prima Luna for dedicated, stressless, satisfying 2ch stereo. My Thiel 1.5 speaks sing.
One thing I noticed is there is a big difference in sound when talking about Mcintosh amps.  Their solid state amps sound much different from the tubes amps.  when I took the MC402 for a weekend and then the MC 275 there was no competition. The MC275 stomped all over it and sounded totally different.  That is my personal opinion.  if you want a big sound, big headroom, MC402.  The MC275 is a music lovers amp.  MC 402 for home theater all day long.  MC275 for listening to a stereo and some records.

@samster777

I just ordered a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated. A friend kindly brought his PL Dialogue HP Integrated to my house and we listened for a few hours.

My first impression:

I was stunned and floored at how well it ’connected’ with my Dynaudio Contour S3.4 LE’s. Beautiful music sprang off the dyns at any volume..this was just incredible. I was amazed at how loudly and openly the sound was with high SPL’s...when I thought the amp had nothing more to "give" the headroom for my tastes, seemed limitless. More than just how loud the system goes, was this easy going yet fully refined and detailed soundscape. The midrange and presence regions, to me are the most important aspects for truly enjoyable playblack (if the mids aren't right nothing else matters in my book). The PL HP was liquid and transparent. Anyway long boring story short, I liked the thing so much I sold my separates and bought the PL.

Recently, I was driving the Dyns with a modern very well known expensive 500wpc (into 4 ohm) solid state amp and the PL was simply more satisfying.

How are you enjoying your amp thus far?

Regards!

Post removed 
Post removed