Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Prof

Thank you for your wonderfully eloquent description of the sonic qualities you appreciate in Thiels. I too owned Meadowlark speakers in the past.. Kestral Hot-Rods and still have a pair of Swallows in my bedroom system. Apart from being truly beautiful speakers, they have a very effortless and believable sound that i think led to my current love affair with a Thiels. Another speaker that I really enjoyed in my system was a pair of KEFs with their Uni-Q drivers. They were far from perfect, but there was definitely something special to how music sounded with  their coaxial drivers... now full circle to the 3.7s which will hopefully combine the best aspects of the KEFs in a much more resolved and speaker. 

What Meadowlarks did you have?

arniespin,

Before I had any Meadowlark speakers in my home I was well acquainted with the popular Shearwaters. I ended up with the Blue Heron speakers for a while, and also owned the stand mounted Meadowlarks Swallow.

What I loved about the Meadowlark sound, especially the bigger Herons, is that they pulled off that very rare combination: rich and lush and warm, but without being dark and sleepy in tonality. They were very open sounding and disappeared like few other speakers. They had, to my ear, a sort of "woody" tonality that really benefited acoustic instruments and voices, vs the more steely or electronic tone of many speakers. The Herons were smoother sounding than the more forward Shearwaters (which were such a fun, exciting speaker, while still not fatiguing).

Though I really enjoyed the Herons lushness and soundstaging, I did find they bloomed a bit much in the bass for me, and although their coloration was very consonant with acoustic instruments, I ultimately found myself a bit too aware of their voice. I think it was actually either the Hales Transcendence 5s or the Thiel CS6s that replaced them.

I'm still a bit sad that I sold the smaller Swallow speakers.  They had little bass to speak of but my god did they sound open, quick and "invisible" with a gorgeous warm tone.  I had too many speakers though and my wife had put her foot down.  It was a token "sell."  :-)
Topic

What Song, Album or Genre do you use to set up your speakers ?

I had moved my speakers back just one inch and had to re-angle them.
I tried to have them with as little angle as possible to get the widest soundstage possible, after several toe-ins I thought I had it until 
Classical Sunday , it just didn't come together , I had to angle it in 
1/2 more to get the Orchestra sounding like you are sitting 
ten rows back center.

In a conversation with Prof I learned that he has his speakers 
8 feet apart and listing position 6.5 to 7 feet away with little toe-in.
I have 8 feet apart and 8 feet from listing position ,
I had guessed a toe-in of 10 degrees but after measurements and mathematics it turned out to be 16.5 degrees toe-in .
Using the front of the speaker being the only straight side .

I guess that the difference is in the music that you listen to
as to setting the speakers position.
I listen to 70% rock 60's & early 70's , 10% folk 60's & 70's .
10% jazz 50's & 60"s and 10% classical 50's , 60's & 70's .

Something for all Thiel owners to talk about.

Rob

P.S.  I had mentioned 2 songs that exhibit strong bass
        I would like to add an album  
        Jefferson Airplane   Crown Of Creation

My 3.6's are roughly eight feet apart and 18" from the back wall.  I've yet to find that any toe-in delivers any better sonics, so they ain't toed-in. 

oblgny
How far is your listen position ?

The back of my speakers are 21 inches from the front wall,
with the center of the base being 31.5 inches from the side walls,
toe-iin focuses my center stage , it might also be the side wall reflections that have a lot to do with it.