Magico S5 vs KEF Blade 2 vs TAD Evo One vs YG Kipod II Sig w/pwr bass

Opinions please. All are Used and are the same very good price but The Y&G are $4000 less which is nice.

KEF Blade 2

TAD Evolution One

Y&G Kipod II Signature w/Pwr Bass module

Magico S5

Would love your thoughts any thoughts on any please! Being all used and in good shape these are all within $500 of each other used price but Y&G and those had highest list but know to be good used deals because they are pretty serious speakers.

I think as far as used speakers in the great value - now less than 1/2 price but still new enough to provide great performance these are some different but pretty serious speakers. Please any and all feedback totally welcomed and is super helpful 

Source: Bricasti M1SE DAC 

Preamp: Parasound JC2 Pre

Amp: Pass Labs X350.5 Amp

IC: Darwin TRUTH Balanced

SC: HiDiamond D8 w/Furutech

PC: HiDiammond P3 (7)

AC: HiDiamond HDX2 

Transport: microRendu 1.4 and full suite of UpTone Audio Premium Power Supplies (2)x LPS-1 and (1) JS-2 LPS - (2) Regens - ISO and Amber and custom Canare DC cables for all / Tellarium Q Black Diamond USB cable and Curious Regen Link

Room is 12 x 23 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 15 Foot a peak 

Music: Assorted Music no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else.

Likes: Transparency- Delicate-linear-Dynamic-Fast - high resolution-microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless - I know there is a fine Line here but I'm looking to walk it and come out on the right side - but real see through into the music - transparent to the source because I love my DAC - there more everything else sound more like my DAC the closer I'm getting to where I want to go as close as possible - image and sound stage lover - tight bass - hate flab - like speed and transparency as my selection choices might speak to

Coming from: Rethm Saadhana V3 speakers which I love and are incredible but want to try something else. 

Love any feedback about matching or equipment matching or one or multiple of these - what you heard at shows or whatever. Love more Info on these.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Been thinking my Pass Labs X350.5 might match up nice with the reasonably used priced BAT VK50SE which seems to go for around $3k used. I say this pre because I know it is a pretty dynamic and neutral pre for tubes but it's tubes. Think that might be a good match for the money?

I have my 250.8 matched with a Simaudio 740p and the two together are amazing.  I've never heard the 350.5 but based on the forum here I've heard a few folks say the .5 is a little more warm/tube-like in the mid-range where the .8 is a little more detailed. 

I didn't find the 740p added any forwardness to my 250.8 (with my Magico S1s) but the imaging and depth of the music exploded.   I was skeptical to pay a lot on a preamp after driving a Berklee Dac 2 direct into the 250.8, but I found the sound a bit analytical and a little flat with the Dac direct.  The 740p ended up giving me the largest overall gain to my system of any component I've added lately; I was amazed a good preamp could make that much difference.   The S1s make any up-stream change very noticeable, for good or for bad. 

I would imagine the already lovely midrange on the 350.5 would only sound better with a VERY neutral SS preamp like the 740p or something similar.   I've never heard the S5s but assuming they are no more forward or analytical than the same generation S1 I have, I think 350.5+740p or something similar (Pass XP-20 maybe) + S5 in a large room like yours would be amazing....  Cheers

@fsmithjack

You really need to listen. It depends on your taste. Do you like 1 a totally neutral accurate sound or 2 some bass emphasis or resonance.

IMHO two cents YMMV
Blade and TAD are camp 1 (driven by a British and Japanese preference for musical accuracy)
YG and Magico are camp 2 (driven by American preference for big sound)

Tight accurate bass is NOT as impressive except when playing loud (when it is more impressive) . With tight bass you will hear more lower mid details and differences (instrument separation between kick and bass) and even differences between recordings.

I think however tight accurate bass is an acquired taste.

I think most audiophiles go through small monitors to eventually affording big overly bass heavy speakers and then given long enough time back to more accurate bigger but tight bass speakers. Initially bigger bass is attractive (just like that boomy subwoofer) but after a while the coloration becomes noticeable and tiring (for the details that are lost)

Although it is always tough to generalize about speakers, the best British and Japanese designs tend to be bass neutral (low Q) to allow mid range details to be clean and clear and the best American tend to be BIG and Bold and brash and exuberantly outgoing and fun.

So what are you looking for? That is really the question!

I've heard most of what you're looking at, mainly at shows, and they were all impressive in their own way.  However, a while back I heard a pair of Pipedreams and found them more impressive and memorable than any of these others.  And there's a nice pair with sub available here now in about the same price range as the rest.  Not sure if or how they'd work in your particular room, but for whatever it's worth.  Best of luck. 

Soix are you talking Pipedreams or the newer iteration which is the Scaeana Iso Linear Array. Huge difference between these systems.

The Scaeanas are amazing speakers but are $60k to $120k depending on version and yes I would take those over almost anything. They do big better than almost anything just fabulous speakers.   

Over the last ten years we have had the Kef Blades, the Scaean Iso Linear Array and the Polymer MKX-S in the shop and have had the Kharma Grand Exquites the $120k current version.

The Blades are awesome speakers for their price brand new, for $15-20k a pair used they are a steal.

Dave owner
Audio Doctor NJ
Hey! You have an incredible list & i've heard them all but in show conditions but anyway they will not do the sound you are looking for.
Of course hearing is believing.
The Speakers that come to my mind, as to what sound you are looking for is the Kaiser Chiara. Yes they are stand mounts but will work in your room. Give them a listen if possible.
All the best.
Cheers