Who thinks $5K speaker cable really better than generic 14AWG cable?

I recently ordered high end speaker, power amp, and preamp to be installed in couple more weeks. So the next search are interconnect and speaker cable. After challenging the dealer and 3 of my so called audiophile friends, I think the only reason I would buy expensive cable is for its appearance to match with the high end gears but not for sound performance. I personally found out that $5K cable vs $10 cable are no difference, at least not to our ears. Prior to this, I was totally believe that cable makes a difference but not after this and reading few articles online.

Here is how I found out.

After the purchase of my system, I went to another dealer to ask for cable opinion (because the original dealer doesn't carry the brand I want) and once I told him my gears, he suggested me the high end expensive cable ranging from $5 - 10K pair, depending on length. He also suggested the minimum length must be 8-12ft. If longer than 12ft, I should upgrade to even more expensive series. So I challenged him that if he can show me the difference, I would purchase all 7 AQ Redwood cables from him.

It's a blind test and I would connect 3 different cables - 1 is the Audioquest Redwood, 1 is Cardas Audio Clear, and 1 my own generic 14AWG about 7ft. Same gears, same source, same song..... he started saying the first cable sound much better, wide, deep, bla...bla...bla......and second is decently good...bla...bla...bla.. and the last one sounded crappy and bla...bla...bla... BUT THE REALITY, I NEVER CHANGED THE CABLE, its the same 14AWG cable. I didn't disclosed and move on to second test. I told him I connected audioquest redwood but actually 14AWG and he started to praise the sound quality and next one I am connected the 14awg but actually is Redwood and he started to give negative comment. WOW!!!! Just blew me right off.

I did the same test with 3 of my audiophile friends and they all have difference inputs but no one really got it right. Especially the part where I use same generic 14awg cable and they all start to give different feedback!!!

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? OR I AM THE LAST PERSON TO FIND OUT THAT EXPENSIVE CABLE JUST A RIP OFF?
sautan904
I have a Tyr tonearm cable, and some heimdall speaker cables in a system that has a Transfiguration Temper Cartridge, LAvardin IT amp, Yamaha NS1000m speakers - @ctsooner please tell me where my system is defective???
I have heard various Nordost cables in various systems whether at shows or at dealers, and of all the cables out there - they really do have a cool slightly bodiless tonality that has a treble lift. Nordost do a great marketing job in persuading us that they are the benchmark in terms of neutrality - but I am not so convinced. If anything they have confirmed my belief that cables are a tone control
Parrot, when did I ever say your system is defective?  I'd never use that term.  We all hear differently.  Systems, rooms and hearing are all subjective.  I PERSONALLY feel that cables have a signature sound.  Maybe I'm not typing things properly, but as you said, the Nordost cables to most I know are somehow a bit hot.  Great cables and I've liked them in many systems I've heard them in.  I wouldn't own them, but I fully get why folks love them (or don't).  To ME, that's tonally adjusting a system with cables. That's something that I personally don't like to do for MY system. Nothing wrong there.  Doesn't mean I don't understand why some do use cables to 'tune' their systems.  Maybe I'm 'tuning' using AQ cables that I use.  I have never heard my tonal balance change when upgrading or downgrading within the AQ line.  What I hear is a larger stage, more detail things like that.  If you want to call that tuning, then that's cool and I agree that is what I do.  

Parrot, I have no idea how your system sounds in your room and to your ears (or anyone else's).  Not sure how you turned what I posted into me saying your system is defective?    
I have heard various Nordost cables in various systems whether at shows or at dealers, and of all the cables out there - they really do have a cool slightly bodiless tonality that has a treble lift. Nordost do a great marketing job in persuading us that they are the benchmark in terms of neutrality - but I am not so convinced.

@parrotbee , I agree with your assessment. Many folks misinterpret emphasized high frequency tones for neutrality.

In my opinion, neutrality means neither the bass, midrange, nor treble regions are emphasized.
Of course Nordost could sound 'neutral' with gear that has rolled off high frequencies.
Personally, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about any cables one hears at shows or dealers mainly because they are usually new and not broken in *at all* or perhaps overnight, if your lucky. That goes for cables, speakers and electronics - none of them are broken in at shows. The sound you described is that of many high end cables, speakers and electronics that have not been broken in.
I dont think anybody needs to get worked up and riled by a subject that at best is subjective to say the least. You could put ten people in the same room with the same equipment and music and get ten different opinions, we all hear differently from state of your hearing ,to your depth and spatial perception and ,of course even though it is denied by some, a form of expectation no matter what.
I used to be one of the largest sceptics on cabling there ever was but I realised it was mostly my lowfi equipment that was not resolving enough to hear any difference rather than a fault of the cabling itself.
Now as older age has allowed a little more "play money" i would say my level is now midfi and yes i can hear changes in cables for sure.
Not always better but just changes, some actually have been profoundly worse, as when I tried a set of Anticables solid copper core speaker cables, Lordy did that really mess up the bass big time, they lasted about a week before being returned and replaced with some VanDenHul cables.
Have I dipped into the market for 4 figure plus cables yet? No, will I, maybe, I am certainly not adverse to trying but you can bet it will be on a minimum 30 day return trial basis....just in case!