Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
Dale,

Thanks so much for the info! it all sounds right to me!

I'm also hoping that your project, which is obviously the result of a knowledgeable guy with a passion who is on to something, receives much more attention down the road. I would love to hear your creations.

If you are ever in the Washington/Baltimore corridor area with your creations, I'll volunteer right now to help get them set up and give them a listen!
MWr0707,

I bet your FRS-11's are not on castors. If so, maybe consider putting them on castors in order toenable you to reposition the speakers easily if desired for optimal listening at a particular room location, if the speakers cannot reside there normally due to room constraints.

I did this with my old Walsh 2s, which were not on castors. THe F5s are.

If you are comfortable with a battery powered screwdriver and drill, it may not be very hard to do with stock castors that you can pick up at Home Depot or euquivalent. As long as the speakers sit squarely on the castors, there is no practical sonic affect from doing this due to the vertical firing nature of the driver.

If you do not like it for any reason, the casters can be unscrewed from the bottom and removed.

Or, maybe John at Ohm can provide a set of the nice heavy duty locking castors they use and provide guidance on installing them.

Just an idea to help provide some flexibility if needed in your room.
Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. I truly appreciate it. I extend an open invitation to anyone whom wishes to make the journey to my shop and home for demo's and tours.

Regarding the last comment on the castors... I have found that the single greatest improvement that I could render to these speakers (night and day improvement) was redesigning the base and adding the very high quality metal cones. Coupling these to the floor cleaned up the entire sound accross the board. Perhaps you can try it with the other products.

Parts Express sellls some very good quality cones from Dayton Audio and very attractive as well. These will keep you in budget. I would recomend the heaviest cones that run about $20 for a set of 4. Believe me, it is the best $50 you will ever invest.

For those whom may be interested, I presently use:
Conrad Johnson preamps, mono block tube amps, Jolida JD 100A CD transport, A Luxman turntable with Premier MMT fiber arm and varous styli. I employ dedicated 30 amp lines with their own power conditioner and ground system, silver interconnects of my own design and various speaker cables, such as 4TC, 8TC and siver, some of my design too.

I have aslo successfully employed some of Carvers magnetic field amps in place of SS amps to power my creations.

Great listening.
Dale.
[email protected]
The last post here was from Dale, 7 years ago! Where are we now with Walsh drivers?