Your thoughts about ATC loudspeakers

I’m interested in the ATC SCM-40 from their HiFi series and would like to hear from people who have owned or spent a lot of time with ATC speakers. This is a fairly new model and may be a bit of a departure from their classic sound.

At the show in Newport last weekend, I was quite taken by these speakers. I went back the next day and heard the same things that I liked about them, but a couple of red flags also went up:

Microdynamics – not sure these speakers do them well and microdynamics are critical to communicating inflection and nuance and to making music sound alive

Imaging, specifically wrt depth. Nothing much outside of the plane of the speakers, so recording venue info is not there and even instrument and vocal body may suffer a bit.

Were these shortcomings of setup or associated gear, or is this what ATC does?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Post removed 
I have no problem with dealers talking about the brands they sell.  You'd expect them to be knowledgeable about them and since they picked them they should be enthusiastic as well.  As long as they're not hiding anything what's the problem?  
From experience in the pro world, a manufacturer/distributor like me has to play it absolutely straight on forums; never BS, no politics, zero opinion about anyone else's gear that competes with yours and actually try to share what you know that can help others.  Speaking about design values that are hidden, or product features that are misunderstood or clarifying facts is OK if its helpful or relevant to the thread.  But it is not welcome when its clothed in verbal advertising.  So responding to incorrect facts asserted by posters about ATC is OK, but saying its better than XYZ is not OK.  Responding to someone who expresses an opinion that they do not like ATC is not OK.  Any assertion as  manufacturer/distributor of my opinion about ATC or any other brand is not allowed.  Note my posts to dragon_vibe are focused completely on features/values that are not supported with facts, incorrect or misstated.  No response to his opinion, which is 100% OK- because we all have opinions about "what is the best" in all kinds of things.  Its completely OK for someone to like Quested or PMC more, heck the people that import that stuff are my friends!     
Well anyway, If your a Solid State guys than ATC is an excellent speaker as long as you have large amplifiers to sufficiently drive them. They are truly excellent speakers but require very good amplification. Iv never tried Class A Solid State amps on ATC.....Wish I did.

I was once a Solid State guy, moved to SET, Push & Pull than OTL. Once i went OTL I never looked back at other Tube Amplification simply because I found OTL just did everything right. Their are issues running OTL and one of the major aspect was they can not run low Impedance speakers very well. So your stuck with a limited type of speakers.

Their are always trade-offs in this hobby, we just have to understand which area we can easily compromise as acceptability.

I never consider any speaker as THE BEST.....this hobby all comes down to personal taste and listening preference.

Living with a easy to drive speaker just gives one more flexibility to move around amplifiers time to time. At the end of the day we all get that upgrade itch at sometime. Their is no such thing as Destination Audio. Its a constant evolving process. Something I learnt painfully.

It is not about Surgical transparency for me anymore. I want to  be emotionally connected to the music. The emotions that stir within us during the listening session is the magical experience I'm after.

ATC speakers in general are not easy to drive (unless you’re buying their active version ) buying their pasive speakers can get you to a serious problem because hungry wats speakers require powerfull amplification and this cost money, a lot of money.If cost is no object ATC can be excellent choice but most of us have a limited budget so we have no choice but to look for other brands with more efficient speakers.